The Student Room Group

can you refuse to pay your tuition fee?

Hi there, I'm a postgrad student doing an MA for £5,000. I've already paid most of the tuition fee which is fine, however I've got one more instalment to make. The service I've received from the Uni in this second term has been truly terrible. There are many reasons why I am against paying that I won't get into here, so I'm just wondering if anyone themselves of knows of anyone who has denied a payment towards their fee because the performance of the course was shocking? And if so, what was the outcome?
Thanks!
Original post by EllieRayBurns
Hi there, I'm a postgrad student doing an MA for £5,000. I've already paid most of the tuition fee which is fine, however I've got one more instalment to make. The service I've received from the Uni in this second term has been truly terrible. There are many reasons why I am against paying that I won't get into here, so I'm just wondering if anyone themselves of knows of anyone who has denied a payment towards their fee because the performance of the course was shocking? And if so, what was the outcome?
Thanks!

Have you talked to the uni about this?
Sure you can, just like with any other payment. Of course, they'll send debt collectors until you pay or end up in jail.
Original post by DarthRoar
Sure you can, just like with any other payment. Of course, they'll send debt collectors until you pay or end up in jail.

I am not sure about debt collectors, but you certainly would not be able to graduate. Before my graduation you had to ensure that you had paid every last library fine before the ceremony.

I think you have to talk to the uni about why you are so unhappy with their teaching.
Original post by EllieRayBurns
Thanks!

As other posters have said, contact the uni/student union about this, don't just withhold payment. You need to give them a chance to fix any issues you have, and not paying will just result in them refusing to let you graduate due to outstanding debt to the university.

Quick Reply

Latest