Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am looking into joining a MA animation program in the UK so far my options are the 2D animation program at University of Hertfordshire, UWE Bristol, AUB and BU. I do not have a Bachelor degree in animation (rather its in Business) but over the past year I have developed a portfolio comprising works that range from illustration, murals, graphic design to simple animation(2d and stop motion).

I am mostly interested in 2d animation and motion graphics (e.g. stuff that are made with After Effect, PS, AI) but i think it is important for me to educate myself with traditional 2d animation techniques in order to be a more wholesome animator/motion designer and boost my employability, which is one of my goals of doing a MA in animation. I have never really been too interested in 3D animation but am open to learn the techniques, though I would rather spend my energy on 2D digital and traditional animation.

I hold a UK passport but am based in Asia so this move will be huge for me and I intend to stay in the UK and work as a junior motion designer/animator upon my graduation.

For this thread I specially would like to learn more about the MA animation program at UWE and AUB respectively. So far there seem to be more info about AUB than UWE. As far as I know AUB has a strong emphasis on traditional 2d animation while at UWE it seems to cater to students who want to do one single personal/self directed project with little interaction with students of the same major or other disciplines.

It would be great to hear what students from both schools have to say about the MA animation program.

Below are a few prompt questions (that apply to BOTH programs at UWE and AUB):

1. Will the course teach students the technical skills that are required to make 2d animation films? If so, what are the softwares that will be used? How much time in the program is dedicated to the application of those softwares (the technical stuff)?

2. Does the program lean more towards traditional 2d animation (i.e. drawing with light box ) or digital 2d animation that uses software (e.g. AE, cinema4D, unity etc..?)

3. Does the program focus more on project- based studio work (i.e. team work/working in groups) or self directed work that the students are responsible for though out the program?

4. Regarding job place, does the school have a network of studios in which students could tap into for job applications later? How does the school assist students with job search upon graduation from the MA animation program?

5. Is it realistic to take online courses (e.e. mo-graph mentor/School of motion) while being in the MA animation program?

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best,
    L
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lorena_So11)
    I am looking into joining a MA animation program in the UK so far my options are the 2D animation program at University of Hertfordshire, UWE Bristol, AUB and BU. I do not have a Bachelor degree in animation (rather its in Business) but over the past year I have developed a portfolio comprising works that range from illustration, murals, graphic design to simple animation(2d and stop motion).

I am mostly interested in 2d animation and motion graphics (e.g. stuff that are made with After Effect, PS, AI) but i think it is important for me to educate myself with traditional 2d animation techniques in order to be a more wholesome animator/motion designer and boost my employability, which is one of my goals of doing a MA in animation. I have never really been too interested in 3D animation but am open to learn the techniques, though I would rather spend my energy on 2D digital and traditional animation.

I hold a UK passport but am based in Asia so this move will be huge for me and I intend to stay in the UK and work as a junior motion designer/animator upon my graduation.

For this thread I specially would like to learn more about the MA animation program at UWE and AUB respectively. So far there seem to be more info about AUB than UWE. As far as I know AUB has a strong emphasis on traditional 2d animation while at UWE it seems to cater to students who want to do one single personal/self directed project with little interaction with students of the same major or other disciplines.

It would be great to hear what students from both schools have to say about the MA animation program.

1. Will the course teach students the technical skills that are required to make 2d animation films? If so, what are the softwares that will be used? How much time in the program is dedicated to the application of those softwares (the technical stuff)?

2. Does the program lean more towards traditional 2d animation (i.e. drawing with light box ) or digital 2d animation that uses software (e.g. AE, cinema4D, unity etc..?)

3. Does the program focus more on project- based studio work (i.e. team work/working in groups) or self directed work that the students are responsible for though out the program?

4. Regarding job place, does the school have a network of studios in which students could tap into for job applications later? How does the school assist students with job search upon graduation from the MA animation program?

5. Is it realistic to take online courses (e.e. mo-graph mentor/School of motion) while being in the MA animation program?

Best,
    L
    Have you applied yet? You can and should apply to multiple courses...once you have offers is when you decide which to accept.

With your academic background there’s no guarantees that you will get offers from your shortlisted universities.

Your questions should be asked to the universities directly.

ReputationRep:
    Hi PQ, thanks for your suggestions! you have a solid point there. I have already emailed those three schools with the same set of questions. Hope to hear from them soon.

(Original post by PQ)
    Have you applied yet? You can and should apply to multiple courses...once you have offers is when you decide which to accept.

With your academic background there’s no guarantees that you will get offers from your shortlisted universities.

Your questions should be asked to the universities directly.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lorena_So11)

Best,
    L
    Hey!
    I am a student ambassador at BU, however I would suggest getting in contact with AUB themselves as they would probably be best at answering your queries. I understand travelling may be difficult for you, but have you thought about attending an open day? That way you will have the opportunity to talk to lecturers and current students about your course. Here is a link for you:
    https://aub.ac.uk/apply/open-days
    Alice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.