Turn on thread page Beta

Applying to study in the USA watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am only 14 years old and in my first year of GCSEs but I would like to study chreography in the US after finishing my A Levels. I currently train as a dancer and I am studying GCSE dance and will continue with A Level Dance and most properly Music and Drama. I am a member of a competition team and prior to dancing was an elite gymnast.

I am aiming to work as a dancer on cruise ships or would like to dance with the Rockettes and then work as a chreography, which is something I love and have been told I have a natural flair for.

My question is: - How to do I go about finding out more about the Colleges in the US, scholarship and how my UK qualifications match that of the US GED? Advise would be great. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Google, probably.
    Go to the sites of the unis you might be interested in and see if you like it.

ReputationRep:
    For colleges, look at some of the ranking tables. www.college.usatoday.com can help.

Some colleges will take A-Levels to calculate a GPA, but many will expect you to take the ACT and/or the GED- this is easy to do, you just have to find a session in the UK and may need to travel to it. Just Google 'take ACT/GED UK' and you should get somewhere.

This is where it gets tough. Colleges can cost anywhere between $40,000 and $70,000 per year; this is the biggest barrier for International students. Systems like the UC system are very affordable, but they double tuition for non-CA citizens, and that sucks. If you have a friend or family member in the US, they can co-sign a student loan for you, but loans are often granted on a year by year basis. Some Universities will offer scholarships or loans, and you can get private scholarships (though these are often a leaf within the oak tree that is paying for school). You can find more information at www.iefa.org. You may also be required to complete the FAFSA at www.studentloan.gov to be eligible for private funding; note that you will NOT be eligible for a federal student loan. As a foreign student, you also won't be eligible for help from the UK Student Loans Company. There are SOME companies that offer loans if you don't have a co-signer (I'm praying to God they'll accept me XD), such as www.stilt.co

Note that funding is the biggest paragraph, because it's the biggest barrier, even for US citizens and permanent residents. An F1 visa is all but guranteed with a University sponsorship (see www.uscis.gov for visa information), and you'll need to go the the US Consulate in London to be interviewed (www.uk.usembassy.gov). Acceptance shouldn't be a problem- you seem very, very skilled- but try and take English, Maths or a Science to a further level of study to show breadth. Extracurricular activity, volunteering or being Head Boy or Girl in your school also really strengthen an appliction. Keep in mind that B-Techs and Diplomas, whilst having the weight of A-Levels in the UK, won't mean anything to a US College so A-Levels are your best option.

The best thing you can do is find the best college you can and the one you fall in love with (it happens. Go Bruins!) and email their admissions counsel, with something very similar to what you told us and they can help you. Good luck!

All I know is California. Here's some schools. On the plus side, they have a lot MORE colleges than we do:

www.ucla.edu
    www.sdsu.edu
    www.claremont.edu
    www.usc.edu
    www.ucsd.edu

Have a look and familaiarise yourself with admissions processes, general catalogs and loans/scholarships to give you an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for a detailed response. The University of California is a College my dance teacher has recommended as having the best chreography program, so I definitely look at some of these sites. My mum has just told me she has also registered to go up London later this year as US College have a weekend event where they can give advice etc.

As for taking the ACT/GED we live just outside London so a test centre should be easy for me.

Thanks again for the advice. I am very determined to do this.

QUOTE=BlameMichaelGove;76395488]For colleges, look at some of the ranking tables. www.college.usatoday.com can help.

Some colleges will take A-Levels to calculate a GPA, but many will expect you to take the ACT and/or the GED- this is easy to do, you just have to find a session in the UK and may need to travel to it. Just Google 'take ACT/GED UK' and you should get somewhere.

This is where it gets tough. Colleges can cost anywhere between $40,000 and $70,000 per year; this is the biggest barrier for International students. Systems like the UC system are very affordable, but they double tuition for non-CA citizens, and that sucks. If you have a friend or family member in the US, they can co-sign a student loan for you, but loans are often granted on a year by year basis. Some Universities will offer scholarships or loans, and you can get private scholarships (though these are often a leaf within the oak tree that is paying for school). You can find more information at www.iefa.org. You may also be required to complete the FAFSA at www.studentloan.gov to be eligible for private funding; note that you will NOT be eligible for a federal student loan. As a foreign student, you also won't be eligible for help from the UK Student Loans Company. There are SOME companies that offer loans if you don't have a co-signer (I'm praying to God they'll accept me XD), such as www.stilt.co

Note that funding is the biggest paragraph, because it's the biggest barrier, even for US citizens and permanent residents. An F1 visa is all but guranteed with a University sponsorship (see www.uscis.gov for visa information), and you'll need to go the the US Consulate in London to be interviewed (www.uk.usembassy.gov). Acceptance shouldn't be a problem- you seem very, very skilled- but try and take English, Maths or a Science to a further level of study to show breadth. Extracurricular activity, volunteering or being Head Boy or Girl in your school also really strengthen an appliction. Keep in mind that B-Techs and Diplomas, whilst having the weight of A-Levels in the UK, won't mean anything to a US College so A-Levels are your best option.

The best thing you can do is find the best college you can and the one you fall in love with (it happens. Go Bruins!) and email their admissions counsel, with something very similar to what you told us and they can help you. Good luck!

All I know is California. Here's some schools. On the plus side, they have a lot MORE colleges than we do:

www.ucla.edu
    www.sdsu.edu
    www.claremont.edu
    www.usc.edu
    www.ucsd.edu

Have a look and familaiarise yourself with admissions processes, general catalogs and loans/scholarships to give you an idea.[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorelwell)
    Thank you very much for a detailed response. The University of California is a College my dance teacher has recommended as having the best chreography program, so I definitely look at some of these sites. My mum has just told me she has also registered to go up London later this year as US College have a weekend event where they can give advice etc.

As for taking the ACT/GED we live just outside London so a test centre should be easy for me.

Thanks again for the advice. I am very determined to do this.

QUOTE=BlameMichaelGove;76395488]For colleges, look at some of the ranking tables. www.college.usatoday.com can help.

www.ucla.edu
    www.sdsu.edu
    www.claremont.edu
    www.usc.edu
    www.ucsd.edu

Have a look and familaiarise yourself with admissions processes, general catalogs and loans/scholarships to give you an idea.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, the UC System is very good, as is the State system. That event sounds interesting, I may have a look.

Glad I can help!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Move to TSR's Studying in North America forum.

ReputationRep:
    As you are only 14, take a look at the Sutton Trust US Programme, and see if you are eligible. You'll apply for the programme in Year 12, and if accepted onto it you'll go to a finalist residential in London, take the ACT, go to the US for a week and visit numerous universities, and you'll also receive great help and advice on applying to the US. Currently, the main requirements for the programme are: be in Year 12, attend a state school/college, not hold US citizenship, and be from a low income family (the website says it generally a household income of £45,000 or less); these are the main criteria for the programme. You can read more about how applicants are selected and the typical GCSEs you will need here https://us.suttontrust.com/apply/eli...and-selection/

The programme was honestly the best experience of my life, I have met so many new people and I am off to a university in August 2018. If you are eligible, definitely try to remember it when you are in Year 12 and apply!! I really can't recommend this programme enough -- it's made my (and many others) dream of studying in the US come true!

Right now you should just completely focus on getting the best GCSE grades possible, and carry on with extracurricular activities. If you are not eligible for the programme, then obviously try get the best GCSE grades possible and continue with your extracurricular activities, but there isn't much need to do your ACT yet. Try aim to do that in Year 12.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the University of California system (its made up of many different campuses - Berkley, Irvine, Davis, etc etc) does not offer financial aid to international students (if you are needing it). However there are some universities that offer international students 100% of their demonstrated need if admitted, however most universities take into account how much financial aid you need into the admissions decisions (need aware), but there are some that do not (need blind - Amherst, Harvard, MIT, Minerva Schools at KGI, Princeton, and Yale). Obviously for the need aware universities you will need to be a stellar applicant.

The US College Day in London is very good! You'll probably see some Yellow Backpacks (Sutton Trust US Programme Cohort 7), and there will be a stall for the Sutton Trust US Programme.

If you want any more tips or advice, feel free to message me!

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theholychilli)
    As you are only 14, take a look at the Sutton Trust US Programme, and see if you are eligible. You'll apply for the programme in Year 12, and if accepted onto it you'll go to a finalist residential in London, take the ACT, go to the US for a week and visit numerous universities, and you'll also receive great help and advice on applying to the US. Currently, the main requirements for the programme are: be in Year 12, attend a state school/college, not hold US citizenship, and be from a low income family (the website says it generally a household income of £45,000 or less); these are the main criteria for the programme. You can read more about how applicants are selected and the typical GCSEs you will need here https://us.suttontrust.com/apply/eli...and-selection/

The programme was honestly the best experience of my life, I have met so many new people and I am off to a university in August 2018. If you are eligible, definitely try to remember it when you are in Year 12 and apply!! I really can't recommend this programme enough -- it's made my (and many others) dream of studying in the US come true!

Right now you should just completely focus on getting the best GCSE grades possible, and carry on with extracurricular activities. If you are not eligible for the programme, then obviously try get the best GCSE grades possible and continue with your extracurricular activities, but there isn't much need to do your ACT yet. Try aim to do that in Year 12.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the University of California system (its made up of many different campuses - Berkley, Irvine, Davis, etc etc) does not offer financial aid to international students (if you are needing it). However there are some universities that offer international students 100% of their demonstrated need if admitted, however most universities take into account how much financial aid you need into the admissions decisions (need aware), but there are some that do not (need blind - Amherst, Harvard, MIT, Minerva Schools at KGI, Princeton, and Yale). Obviously for the need aware universities you will need to be a stellar applicant.

The US College Day in London is very good! You'll probably see some Yellow Backpacks (Sutton Trust US Programme Cohort 7), and there will be a stall for the Sutton Trust US Programme.

If you want any more tips or advice, feel free to message me!

Good luck.
    Couldn't have said this any better!!

I got into a need-aware Ivy Leauge school with a top 10% of incoming class scholarship! If I applied myself, I might have gotten in somewhere, but with the help of the Trust, I was equipped with much more confidence with the entire process and got the scholarship.

I'm free to be messaged too!
    Good luck!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.