The Student Room Group

I want my boyfriend to move in with me

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 7 months and everything has been perfect. I live with my family still and he used to sleep at mine 2/3 nights in a row, go home for a few nights and then come back. We both enjoyed it that way as we had time together and time apart. But as of lately I’m lucky to have him sleep once or twice every two weeks.

His parents have been wanting him home a lot lately and stopping him from doing things he wants to do and it’s frustrating him. I tell him to respect his parents but as a 19 year old he’s becoming torn between respecting them and doing what he wants to do. I was thinking he could live at mine for 3/4 days every week and then go home for the rest. He’s moved out before and stayed at mine for weeks before so it’s nothing new. My parent’s actually suggested this so is it a good idea? And how should I bring the idea up to him?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been with my boyfriend for 7 months and everything has been perfect. I live with my family still and he used to sleep at mine 2/3 nights in a row, go home for a few nights and then come back. We both enjoyed it that way as we had time together and time apart. But as of lately I’m lucky to have him sleep once or twice every two weeks.

His parents have been wanting him home a lot lately and stopping him from doing things he wants to do and it’s frustrating him. I tell him to respect his parents but as a 19 year old he’s becoming torn between respecting them and doing what he wants to do. I was thinking he could live at mine for 3/4 days every week and then go home for the rest. He’s moved out before and stayed at mine for weeks before so it’s nothing new. My parent’s actually suggested this so is it a good idea? And how should I bring the idea up to him?

It's not easy to simply break away from his parents at that age and you need to understand that. I think it's good that you are proposing a plan for both of you. Just talk about it the next time you meet and see how he responds to it. If he's done it before, he will probably be open to doing it again but his parents may think otherwise. Unless he's ready to leave his parents then things may not change. Are you not able to stay round his place?
Reply 2
Suggest it but don't make him cut his parents off
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
It's not easy to simply break away from his parents at that age and you need to understand that. I think it's good that you are proposing a plan for both of you. Just talk about it the next time you meet and see how he responds to it. If he's done it before, he will probably be open to doing it again but his parents may think otherwise. Unless he's ready to leave his parents then things may not change. Are you not able to stay round his place?

He’s talked about moving out a lot and was looking for a place in my city that he would share with his friends. I never stay at his house, only been a couple of times, as he lives an hour away and travels to my city everyday. That’s why I feel like living with me for half of the week or even less would be good for him, that way he isn’t cutting his family off. I would hate for him to do that as I love his family. I’m not sure how to bring it up to me, I think it’ll come across as needy but I think as his girlfriend I’m allowed to see him often. If this was the case from day one, him only sleeping once every two weeks then that would be fine but it’s only recently and is frustrasting. Thank you!!
He's only 19. If you get to the post living with family stage, and both of you have jobs/something to do, consider it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending