Turn on thread page Beta

Uproar about new CancerResearchUK posters watch

ReputationRep:
    "(..)
    Cancer Research UK is a research and awareness charity based out of the United Kingdom. It also happens to be the world’s largest independent cancer charity and conducts research into the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of the disease. In other words, you can trust these people to be experts on all things cancer.(..)"

https://squawker.org/culture-wars/fatcancer/

warning- graphic photos.

what are your thoughts about it?

ReputationRep:
    I like Cancer Research's campaign.

Unfortunately I suspect the majority of the UK, who chose to be overweight and lead sedentary lives, will ignore the message.

ReputationRep:
    Scientists' research > Feewings

ReputationRep:
    it's not as if all scientists are wafer thin is it ?

anyway big people help the environment by fixing huge amounts of carbon which would otherwise be in the atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    Hagen probably needs to cut down on the haagen daz if shes that defensive.

ReputationRep:
    My eyes rolled so far to the back of my head I’m worried they won’t come back
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it's not as if all scientists are wafer thin is it ?

anyway big people help the environment by fixing huge amounts of carbon which would otherwise be in the atmosphere.
    But don't they cause Global Warming by overheating the planet by their extra layers of flab?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The problem you have is a lot of people dont like facts, and consider feelings to be superior, which s wrong as its against their own wellbeing to be like that.

I would not be surprised if the same people say the NHS are 'fat shaming' for treating obesity.

And surely its only 'shaming' as you know its bad?

ReputationRep:
    a 30 stone person fixes roughly 120 kg of carbon. you should be grateful to them.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's perfectly acceptable, I'm fat myself and things like that makes people or me anyways want to lose weight (lost 19lbs so far). People don't make a big deal when they make posters for smoking because it's obviously an unhealthy lifestyle so why should obesity be any different?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not a fat person but I don't think it's a good idea.
    It's already well established being fat has loads of negative complications attached healthwise... heart issues, breathing, joints. No need to tell people being fat gives you cancer too. Cancer research shouldn't be "wasting" money like this and should be just researching ways to actually beat cancer... is that not their job? Have they done their job yet? No. They should be focusing all their research into cure in this case rather than trying to stop fat people getting cancer as we all know already cancer can affect everyone...young, tall, slim, bald, black, white, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_g)
    "(..)
    Cancer Research UK is a research and awareness charity based out of the United Kingdom. It also happens to be the world’s largest independent cancer charity and conducts research into the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of the disease. In other words, you can trust these people to be experts on all things cancer.(..)"

https://squawker.org/culture-wars/fatcancer/

warning- graphic photos.

what are your thoughts about it?
    The anti-fat shaming movement, I get. Many overweight children are severely bullied at school and suffer depression as a result, and what do overweight people do when they are feeling low? Continue to eat.

If solving the obesity crisis were as simple as telling people not to eat, it wouldn't be a problem currently affecting 62% of the UK population who are classified as overweight or obese. Losing weight is a hard thing to stick at, as anyone who's ever tried dieting will tell you. Overweight people know that it is affecting their health, but flipping your current lifestyle on its head is easier said than done.

However, this Sofie woman takes it one step further and says she is fat and doesn't care/will keep making herself bigger. Scientists unanimously agree that being overweight causes a whole host of health problems, and cancer is just one of them.

I don't fundamentally disagree with the ad campaign from Cancer Research UK, but I think it could be worded differently as it is such a sensitive subject for people who are affected by it. For example, losing weight can improve life expectancy and reduce your risk of cancer by more than half. Labeling people will come off as a personal attack and not have the desired effect.At the end of the day, we don't live in confinement where you can control people's behaviours. They will continue to do as they please, and all you can do is inform people using appropriate methods.

Just my opinion, I am sure I have opened a can of worms here

ReputationRep:
    Ah Sofie, I saw her tweets, absolute freak. Destroys her body will cost the NHS money and is proud of it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Eh, there's a reasonable argument that it'll just encourage ********s to continue abusing people which is entirely counterproductive (amazingly abuse on the streets is not an effective motivator).

ReputationRep:
    Could be done differently because being overweight can be due to a variety of factors.

But it’s perfectly acceptable for those lazy s**** who want to sit on their fat a** all day.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    who cares - they're a damn fine charity doing a damn fine job!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ugh.

Another charity that pays its CEO 200k+ and pleads for money in adverts.

Shocking how people continue to donate to them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I really love those obesity posters I've been seeing. I totally get there are conditions that make it impossible to lose weight and also make you gain weight a lot, fair beans, But people who choose to gorge on junk food and not exercise and then expect to be healthy are just delusional - yes, it is bad to be obese and people need to realise it. Obesity should not be accepted so blindly like this. This campaign will hopefully get people to realise they are cutting years off their life, and for what?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how it's 'fatphobic' to state facts. Obesity won't stop being a cause of cancer just because it hurts your feelings.

ReputationRep:
    We'll see if Ms Hagen is still pushing 'fat acceptance' when she is dying of heart disease, diabetes or some other horrible illness in her 50s. There is a reason why obese, elderly people are somewhat rare.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.