The Student Room Group

Which University for Biomedical Science?

I have applied to 5 universities for Biomedical Science:

Kings College London, University of London - Offer
Royal Holloway, University of London - Offer
Edinburgh - Pending
Warwick - Pending
QMUL - Pending

I hope to pursue Medicine after my Biomedical Science studies. I am aware that it is more competitive as a graduate but that is my only option as my high school grades were not competitive enough.

My main question is which one of those universities is closest to Medicine in terms of their modules and will help me the most when studying Medicine at uni in the future?
They will all be just as relevant as the others - and all of them will be suitable for progressing to GEM, provided you get a 2:1 or, ideally, a 1st.

Which one you should go to depends on your personal preferences - if possible, it may be helpful to visit the universities. Some things worth taking into account are the cost of living in the area, how close (or not) you will be living to the university campus(es), various social aspects that are relevant for you (if you have specific clubs/societies/extracurricular things you want to pursue there, you may want to see if these are already in evidence at the universities).

If there is one you really fall in love with, then go with that one - they're all more or less equivalent academically, and GEM doesn't really care so much about "brand name" recognition compared with applying to grad schemes in the business/finance sectors. As long as it is a degree and you satisfy their academic requirements (e.g., if they require a bioscience course or specific A-levels such as Chemistry etc) and do as well as you can.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Biological+Sciences

League Tables are your best bet (but avoid The Guardian). They are based off of criteria such as student experience, graduate prospects etc. and are reviewed annually.
Put it this way, I know people who have got into medicine from 'poly' universities over 'posh' universities.

What matters is that you get 2.1 or 1st. If you fancy working prior to starting GEM, then I would look at things such as graduate prospects too. Otherwise I don't think it matters greatly.

However, I have no personal experience for this route so please take this with a pinch of salt.
(edited 6 years ago)
Kings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending