The Student Room Group

Clubs outside of school

I was wondering what kinds of things people are doing out of school. Especially if you're doing your GCSEs or A-Levels at the moment because I'm kind of stuck on what to do...

I'm in year 11 and I do a fair bit of martial arts every week - Brazilian Jiujitsu and Muay Thai, anyone else do those or other martial arts?
I do: 2 hours of BJJ on Tuesday, 1 hour of MT on Thursday, 2 hours of BJJ on Friday, 1 hour of BJJ on Saturday and during holidays, I do another hour of MT on Monday.
I'm competing in the junior nationals competition so I'm definitely going to keep it all going until then but should I begin to cut it down slightly after that as we move further into exam season.

I love it so much and I've noticed I get less stressed with exams/revision when I've done MT/BJJ but it occupies a lot of my time that I could be spending on revision.

Any thoughts or your experiences with this kinda thing?
Original post by xWillow1
I was wondering what kinds of things people are doing out of school. Especially if you're doing your GCSEs or A-Levels at the moment because I'm kind of stuck on what to do...

I'm in year 11 and I do a fair bit of martial arts every week - Brazilian Jiujitsu and Muay Thai, anyone else do those or other martial arts?
I do: 2 hours of BJJ on Tuesday, 1 hour of MT on Thursday, 2 hours of BJJ on Friday, 1 hour of BJJ on Saturday and during holidays, I do another hour of MT on Monday.
I'm competing in the junior nationals competition so I'm definitely going to keep it all going until then but should I begin to cut it down slightly after that as we move further into exam season.

I love it so much and I've noticed I get less stressed with exams/revision when I've done MT/BJJ but it occupies a lot of my time that I could be spending on revision.

Any thoughts or your experiences with this kinda thing?

It's 6 hours a week. As a uni student I study a few hours a day with breaks in between and it's no problem - you just have to treat those hours as breaks, after all you find it relaxing.
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
It's 6 hours a week. As a uni student I study a few hours a day with breaks in between and it's no problem - you just have to treat those hours as breaks, after all you find it relaxing.

Yeah I thought that but it's taking up a lot of my study time, I'm in school until 16:30 everyday and then I go straight to my sports classes. I usually end up with an hour or not even that in the evening to do loads of homework as well as revising for upcoming exams then I still need to get enough sleep.
I don't want it to take a toll on my grades because currently I'm getting 7s-9s.
Reply 3
HAMC
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
HAMC

Huh?
Reply 5
Huh?

Big club.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
Big club.

Oh, so you're in that big motorcycle club? I searched the acronym and wasn't sure if that's what you meant or not.
Reply 7
Oh, so you're in that big motorcycle club? I searched the acronym and wasn't sure if that's what you meant or not.

No, just floating suggestions :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest