The Student Room Group

Student jobs that are term time only?

Hi all,

I'm studying at Plymouth University however my family is not from Plymouth. I am wanting to get a part time job so I can have a little disposable income as at the moment I'm only just affording food and rent. However, I want to be able to go home in the holidays to see my family and friends, so was wondering what kind of jobs would allow me to just work during term time, and allow me to go home during the holidays?

Thanks
Original post by amoneill
Hi all,

I'm studying at Plymouth University however my family is not from Plymouth. I am wanting to get a part time job so I can have a little disposable income as at the moment I'm only just affording food and rent. However, I want to be able to go home in the holidays to see my family and friends, so was wondering what kind of jobs would allow me to just work during term time, and allow me to go home during the holidays?

Thanks

You wont find much that is just term time, as most students get jobs in places like shops, supermarkets, restaurants, fast food places etc, which are usually all year round.
What you could do though is try mcdonalds. They are very flexible and when i worked there i knew of quite a few people who worked there around uni. Most of the people i worked with did it the other way round and worked at our store when they came home during the summer and at christmas. But it is possible to do it the other way as well and some of the people i worked with transferred and also worked at a store near uni while at uni.
Hiya, I'm from Plymouth. I used to have a job at Frankie and Benny's by the Barbican. They were usually quite flexible to students who were in Plymouth for university and understood them going home during holidays as they also had other employees who transferred back during holidays. So, good jobs are usually within busy, popular bars/restaurants as they can replace you when you're not there and you have the chance to transfer between your university location and home location.
You can also try to see if your Uni's SU has a job lettings page. The companies that advertise there know that they're going to get students and therefore likely plan for you being there for term-time and with flexible hours. Additionally, you can also find on-campus jobs there--like working for your SU, student pub, etc.!
Hiya amoneill,

I study at Plymouth College of Art and I have found that there are a fair few ways to make extra money, even with a job that is flexible and works around you.

The first thing I would try is asking at Plymouth Uni, as they understand that students need a job that works around their lectures and holidays; they may have available roles in the SU or working as an Ambassador; which I do here at PCA and thoroughly enjoy. Another thing that a lot of students do is apply to work in small independent businesses, especially pubs, as these places tend to need cover workers and are usually understanding and flexible too.
If you only need a bit of extra money, and only at certain points at the year, I would recommend looking into handing out flyers for companies and/or working as a rep for events or nightlife venues, as they often need extra staff at certain points. These tend to be really flexible and you generally don’t need experience to apply to them.

There is a really good Facebook page called Plymouth Jobs where companies advertise all kinds of roles. I tend to check this regularly as some interesting things get added daily.

Hopefully this helps!

Harriet :smile:
First Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending