Pdddd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, just doing my design task for Loughborough Product Design, and i'm slightly confused as to how many pages I'm supposed to do.
The website states:
  1. Summarise the product analysis on one sheet of A3
  2. Present the solution on a second sheet of A3

So does this mean 4 sides altogether, or just 2 sides. From what I've seen, most people have done 2 sides but I just want to check as I don't what to do too few or too many.
piamiahh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Pdddd)
Hi, just doing my design task for Loughborough Product Design, and i'm slightly confused as to how many pages I'm supposed to do.
The website states:
  1. Summarise the product analysis on one sheet of A3
  2. Present the solution on a second sheet of A3

So does this mean 4 sides altogether, or just 2 sides. From what I've seen, most people have done 2 sides but I just want to check as I don't what to do too few or too many.

I asked the same thing during the making of my design task and this is the response i got after emailing them "2 sheets of A3 paper - 1 for product analysis and 1 for solution and can be upto 4 sides."

I only did 2 sides (one product analysis and one solutions page) and i got an offer so i guess i did something right

good luck!
Spidey786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What product did u do??
lexiemcd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there, I am just about to start my Design task that is due in a week, I was wondering what products you all made and if you have any advice?
Spidey54321
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lexiemcd)
Hi there, I am just about to start my Design task that is due in a week, I was wondering what products you all made and if you have any advice?
Think about the materials you would make your product out of and why, they like to ask that as a surprise question to see how much you know! Good luck.
Katya__
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I am currently doing mine as well, and turns out they don’t interview anymore! Does anyone know if they expect us to model anything, like make mini prototypes?
lexiemcd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Katya__)
Hey I am currently doing mine as well, and turns out they don’t interview anymore! Does anyone know if they expect us to model anything, like make mini prototypes?
Hi,
I dont think you need to make a full protootype, but small models are probs good!

Thnaks
izzyhahahaha
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, I've just been sent my design task but I still don't understand what I actually need to do... and then said they want it in 14 days! do you have any tips?
Katya__
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, assuming the task is the same as last year, I redesigned an induction hob- If I remember correctly I did a page of research and a few ideas, then another page on more design ideas, then I did a page of one large final design and a bit of an evaluation. I used colour for most of the designs. They want to see something unique but don’t stress too much because they don’t expect to have super impressive design skills! Try to draw in perspective if you can, as they like that, but I did mine in isometric and I still got in, so! Good luck, hmu if you need any more advice, I am in my first year of industrial design (I swapped from Product) at lboro now.
izzyhahahaha
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, assuming the task is the same as last year, I redesigned an induction hob- If I remember correctly I did a page of research and a few ideas, then another page on more design ideas, then I did a page of one large final design and a bit of an evaluation. I used colour for most of the designs. They want to see something unique but don’t stress too much because they don’t expect to have super impressive design skills! Try to draw in perspective if you can, as they like that, but I did mine in isometric and I still got in, so! Good luck, hmu if you need any more advice, I am in my first year of industrial design (I swapped from Product) at lboro now.
Heyy, thank you so much !! How is the uni and course so far? Loughborough is my top choice so I really hoping I get an offer I'm so stressed as I don't really have any experience with product / industrial design as for GCSE and A-Level I've done Graphics design so this is all very new to me :/ I also realised I need to create projects for my portfolio and its not just previous work you've done before so thats quite confusing!
Katya__
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by izzyhahahaha)
Heyy, thank you so much !! How is the uni and course so far? Loughborough is my top choice so I really hoping I get an offer I'm so stressed as I don't really have any experience with product / industrial design as for GCSE and A-Level I've done Graphics design so this is all very new to me :/ I also realised I need to create projects for my portfolio and its not just previous work you've done before so thats quite confusing!
I’m really enjoying the course, they definitely start from the basics so I wouldn’t worry that you haven’t done product design before, I know many people on the course that have backgrounds in art, graphic design etc. I even know someone that didn’t do anything related to design for A Levels! In my portfolio I just included most of my A Level work, and a small project I did for my epq which was fashion related. As long as you demonstrate that you have a certain level of sketching skills and creativity I’m sure they will be happy with your portfolio. Make sure that the design projects in your portfoli show different parts of the design process, not just the final design.
izzyhahahaha
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m really enjoying the course, they definitely start from the basics so I wouldn’t worry that you haven’t done product design before, I know many people on the course that have backgrounds in art, graphic design etc. I even know someone that didn’t do anything related to design for A Levels! In my portfolio I just included most of my A Level work, and a small project I did for my epq which was fashion related. As long as you demonstrate that you have a certain level of sketching skills and creativity I’m sure they will be happy with your portfolio. Make sure that the design projects in your portfoli show different parts of the design process, not just the final design.
Oh thats perfect! So I'm guessing I can just submit my graphics work then as long as it shows the process Thank you so much! I'm really hoping I get an offer it looks like such a lovely Uni!
Katya__
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh thats perfect! So I'm guessing I can just submit my graphics work then as long as it shows the process Thank you so much! I'm really hoping I get an offer it looks like such a lovely Uni!
Yeah that should be fine, I mean I’m not an admission tutor so I’m no expert on portfolios in any way, but I do know that they want to see your design thinking and creative abilities. It is a really nice uni, I am so happy here, even though covid has messed things up they are dealing with it really well and there is so much open space which is really refreshing
izzyhahahaha
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah that should be fine, I mean I’m not an admission tutor so I’m no expert on portfolios in any way, but I do know that they want to see your design thinking and creative abilities. It is a really nice uni, I am so happy here, even though covid has messed things up they are dealing with it really well and there is so much open space which is really refreshing
I've emailed the admission office about it so hopefully they get back to me soon! Thank you so much for all of the advice though and I'm glad youre enjoying the uni!
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've emailed the admission office about it so hopefully they get back to me soon! Thank you so much for all of the advice though and I'm glad youre enjoying the uni!
Hi izzyhahahaha,

I'm glad that you've emailed the admissions team at Loughborough and I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction. I just wanted to offer you my support if you needed it, I appreciate you want to do your utmost for the task that you've been set.

Good luck!!!!
Bindu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (682)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (859)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.17%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.51%

Watched Threads