Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So recently in my university department, there has been a load of students complaining to lecturers and Student Reps that they are unable to cope with the pressure and workload given by lecturers. Naturally, there should be 5 summative assignments submitted over a 10 week period (or one assignment every 2 weeks or so). It has come to my attention that many students are now willing to take action against the department because they feel this is too much.

I have always refused to comment on this matter when asked to participate in student forums or surveys as I feel that taking action is very unnecessary. I feel that 5 assignments a term is very fair and that by manipulating lecturers into changing the framework of courses by assuring them their work is too hard is just unacceptable, especially considering how much money I am paying for these courses.

Some people may say I am slightly harsh to criticise this matter, but I really do feel that people in my course want to do the bare minimum, especially considering the majority of the students complaining are also the ones who are dedicating a large sum of their time to socializing and clubbing at least 3/4 nights a week and will regularly turn up to class unprepared, hungover and apathetic.

Of course usually, I wouldn't comment on the whole controversy but I just simply refuse to let changes to my degree happen to benefit lazy students, especially after regularly hearing comments in class such as ''I really can't be bothered being here'', or ''Yeah like that's gonna happen''.

What are people's views on this? Do I sit back and do nothing, or do I speak my mind and assure the department that their teaching is adequate enough to maintain the same teaching framework?

Millenials really boil your blood sometimes.. gosh

TG

ReputationRep:
    If people are arguing against a workload that you feel is acceptable, you are completely within your rights to make a statement of your views. Particularly if you can articulate the reasons behind your position.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, when you leave uni the workload will be the same so might as well use uni to get used to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tg814)
    So recently in my university department, there has been a load of students complaining to lecturers and Student Reps that they are unable to cope with the pressure and workload given by lecturers. Naturally, there should be 5 summative assignments submitted over a 10 week period (or one assignment every 2 weeks or so). It has come to my attention that many students are now willing to take action against the department because they feel this is too much.

I have always refused to comment on this matter when asked to participate in student forums or surveys as I feel that taking action is very unnecessary. I feel that 5 assignments a term is very fair and that by manipulating lecturers into changing the framework of courses by assuring them their work is too hard is just unacceptable, especially considering how much money I am paying for these courses.

Some people may say I am slightly harsh to criticise this matter, but I really do feel that people in my course want to do the bare minimum, especially considering the majority of the students complaining are also the ones who are dedicating a large sum of their time to socializing and clubbing at least 3/4 nights a week and will regularly turn up to class unprepared, hungover and apathetic.

Of course usually, I wouldn't comment on the whole controversy but I just simply refuse to let changes to my degree happen to benefit lazy students, especially after regularly hearing comments in class such as ''I really can't be bothered being here'', or ''Yeah like that's gonna happen''.

What are people's views on this? Do I sit back and do nothing, or do I speak my mind and assure the department that their teaching is adequate enough to maintain the same teaching framework?

Millenials really boil your blood sometimes.. gosh

TG
    I think you need to find out the details of the other students complaints before slapping them down. Just because you find the workload ok doesn't mean you can have a go at them and imply they're not as smart/hard working as you.

1 assignment every 2 weeks ok if bank of mom & dad's funding your degree and you don't have to combine study with part time work.

Also it depends on how much time you're allowed to complete the work. I was a asked to do piece of work the night before by email which was sent late afternoon, which I didn't get until late in the evening because I had lectures followed by work. The work was due in the next day so I stayed up all night to do it. The lecturer's excuse? He forget to set the assignment earlier! Even the job-free students had a hard time doing the thing.

To make it worse, the assignment had to be presented in class the next day and it involved a load of maths that wasn't yet covered in our BSc.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't comment on what I think of either side unless I actually did the particular course in question myself, but if you have 0 problems with the workload it could theoretically be worth telling the department you find it fine personally.

I wouldn't advise berating people you don't really know on a personal level though. I too am regularly hungover and half dead but I actually cope with my assignment load fine regardless. Perhaps there genuinely is a problem for them beyond having a social life.

ReputationRep:
    Have they changed anything? If they're just doing the same as what previous year groups managed it seems unreasonable.

It's a delicate matter. You don't want to become some pariah for the rest of your course but also your there to push yourself academically.

ReputationRep:
    I see your point as I as well have the same struggle with the course I'm doing. However, I would be very careful not to tar everyone with the same brush. I know how frustrating it is to be held up by people moaning it's too hard and a part of me says get on with it. But you have just got to remember that everyone is different and has there own lives to attend to.

ReputationRep:
    You sound very reasonable to me. So many students don't want to work regularly and hard. 5 assignments a term LOL. I had to do 4 a week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tg814)
    There will have long been a tension between assessment expectations and students feeling overburdened but assessment is supposed to be a struggle and place demands on us, intellectually and in terms of time management. Since loans and growing fees have come to the fore, however, so students feel more empowered to question how they are taught and assessed. There probably is also a more general cultural difference with some younger students seeing their studies more as just a part of what being at university is about rather than being front and centre (university advertising is probably partially to blame for that in the competition for students).

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.