Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think of these new phones coming out soon?

Not personally getting one but am interested to see what people think. All I can say is that the camera and screen have certainly come along way in the last 5 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 152mmOfDerp)
    What does everyone think of these new phones coming out soon?

Not personally getting one but am interested to see what people think. All I can say is that the camera and screen have certainly come along way in the last 5 years...
    I think the best thing about them is the price drop the S8 and S8+ are going to see.

Don't get me wrong, they look like phenomenal phones and direct improvements over the S8 line and as long as there's Note 7 exploding battery scandal they'll probably be the benchmark for phones going forward this year. However they're very much an iterative change over the S8/S8+, with an almost identical design, display, and featureset. There are meaningful improvements in performance and camera, and the fingerprint sensor is no longer in a completely stupid position, but they're not revolutionising the experience already offered by their superb predecessors.

ReputationRep:
    If you have s8/s8+/note then dont bother getting it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I personally think they are exceptionally boring devices. As tends to be the way with odd numbered Galaxy devices, they're small, incremental changes over the previous models. Of course, when you look at them objectively they're great devices. But they're fundamentally no different from the S8 range. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since the S8 and its siblings were great devices. But it doesn't encourage you to buy an S9.

That said, on a wider scale the same has been true for a long time. All major phones brands have really been undergoing iterative upgrades lately. We haven't had any really big changes in a while. Curved screens, edge to edge display, greater than 1080p resolutions, it's all outdated nowadays. None of the big players really seem to be pushing the boundaries at the moment. So it's not really surprising that the S9 feels bland.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.