Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any good apprenticeships for cyber security? I am in my first year of a-levels and I am taking Maths, Physics and Economics. I have no experience in coding though but I know that there are so many different types of work in cyber security. If there is an apprenticeship that teaches you to code I don't mind doing that either. I also took part on a CyberFirst futures course last summer! : )

ReputationRep:
    GCHQ may be a good option
    https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/early...ticeships.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaguarLover101)
    GCHQ may be a good option
    https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/early...ticeships.html
    Ah thanks, that's great. Do I need to be able to code?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous030701)
    Ah thanks, that's great. Do I need to be able to code?
    It says "Although previous experience in coding would be advantageous, it’s not required as you’ll have the opportunity to develop these skills on the apprenticeship."

However coding is very easy to get into these days, jump on codeacadamey or similar and try it out, especially over the summer when you will have a lot more time
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm going to tag in IBMApprentices and Apprenticeships Advice as they'll be able to help you with this
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Anonymous030701)
    Does anyone know any good apprenticeships for cyber security? I am in my first year of a-levels and I am taking Maths, Physics and Economics. I have no experience in coding though but I know that there are so many different types of work in cyber security. If there is an apprenticeship that teaches you to code I don't mind doing that either. I also took part on a CyberFirst futures course last summer! : )
    Hi there,

It's great to hear you're interested in apprenticeships! They are a fantastic way to gain experience within a job role, whilst gaining a qualification and a wage. The fact that you have taken part in a CyberFirst course shows that you are interested in this area and will put you in good stead for any applications. A level 4 (higher) apprenticeship would be best suited to you as you're taking your A-levels, although a level 3 (advanced) apprenticeship would be a great starting point too!

I would recommend searching on Find an apprenticeship, it's a search site where you can filter your results to specific locations and any preferences you have:
    https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch The broader the search the better and look in detail at each apprenticeship(they are all different in some way), the apprenticeship may be named 'IT' or 'Technical' but they could still relate to what you are looking for, so keep your eyes peeled

I would also suggest that you try searching on specific company websites, so think of companies who may offer a cyber apprenticeship and investigate on their careers pages.

If you have any more questions we'll be happy to help! Good luck applying
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The National Cyber Security Centre can you help with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    I'm going to tag in IBMApprentices and Apprenticeships Advice as they'll be able to help you with this
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apprenticeships Advice)
    Hi there,

It's great to hear you're interested in apprenticeships! They are a fantastic way to gain experience within a job role, whilst gaining a qualification and a wage. The fact that you have taken part in a CyberFirst course shows that you are interested in this area and will put you in good stead for any applications. A level 4 (higher) apprenticeship would be best suited to you as you're taking your A-levels, although a level 3 (advanced) apprenticeship would be a great starting point too!

I would recommend searching on Find an apprenticeship, it's a search site where you can filter your results to specific locations and any preferences you have:
    https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch The broader the search the better and look in detail at each apprenticeship(they are all different in some way), the apprenticeship may be named 'IT' or 'Technical' but they could still relate to what you are looking for, so keep your eyes peeled

I would also suggest that you try searching on specific company websites, so think of companies who may offer a cyber apprenticeship and investigate on their careers pages.

If you have any more questions we'll be happy to help! Good luck applying

Thank you so much, I will look into this now!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    The National Cyber Security Centre can you help with this?
    Sorry for the delay in replying to this post, but yes, we are more than happy to help with this Anonymous030701 - we've just been waiting on confirmation of our revised apprenticeships scheme, which will be launching later this year. (Thanks to those others who have mentioned the scheme above )

The GCHQ Technical Apprenticeship scheme has now been redesigned, and renamed 'the CyberFirst Degree Level Apprenticeship in Cyber Security'. Working with GCHQ, including the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), you’ll gain unique insights. Our work is constantly evolving and always challenging, giving you lots of new opportunities to explore and huge scope for development.

As part of the Apprenticeship you will be a member of the CyberFirst Community, which aims to offer peer mentoring and advice from cyber security graduates and professionals. Throughout the apprenticeship you will be part of a close-knit active network, providing opportunities for support and learning.

Our careers page at https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/early...ticeships.html has all the information you need about the scheme. We are looking for interest, potential and aptitude, not experts or the 'finished article'.

To give you an insight into the previous scheme, one of our current apprentices has had an article published recently in the Yorkshire Post - see https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...need-1-8838603.
    That tells you about the scheme although you should note that it is changing slightly. We'll now be offering a Degree (not Higher) Apprenticeship, leading to a BSc Honours degree. This means that the programme will now run for three years not two, and many of the other great things (good pay, high-quality training, work placements, the range of roles, visits to our other sites etc.) will remain.

You may also be interested to know that this summer's CyberFirst courses have been launched today - see https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/cyberfirst-courses for dates and how to book.

Applications for the Apprenticeship and CyberFirst bursary schemes will be opening in September this year, for entry in September 2019.

We hope this helps, but do let us know if you have any other questions, or use the contacts on the web pages to find out more.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.