Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I be employed just after leaving school in the summer holidays when I hit 16? watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to work in either primark
    and H&M or Superdrug and boots. I really don't care where a small long as they employ me. But I'm not sure as I want to work all summer holidays until I go to college and then do part time jobs. where do you think they would let me do that? I have studied textiles at gcse and already have a gcse in a language. Should I apply now ? And has anybody done this where they've worked all summer break at 16 ? Thanks a lot xxx
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mmmarija)
    and H&M or Superdrug and boots. I really don't care where a small long as they employ me. But I'm not sure as I want to work all summer holidays until I go to college and then do part time jobs. where do you think they would let me do that? I have studied textiles at gcse and already have a gcse in a language. Should I apply now ? And has anybody done this where they've worked all summer break at 16 ? Thanks a lot xxx
    Yes just a temp summer job.

During school holidays 15 to 16-year-olds can only work a maximum of 35 hours a week. This includes:

• a maximum of 8 hours on weekdays and Saturdays
    • a maximum of 2 hours on Sunday

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5410
    Local rules on the types of work children can do

Local bylaws list the jobs that children can’t do. If a job is on this list, a child under the minimum school leaving age can’t do this work.

Local bylaws may also have other restrictions on working hours, conditions of work and the type of employment.

Contact your local council’s education department or education welfare service for more information.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mmmarija)
    Pretty much everywhere will take you on once you are 16 and have left school at the end of june.
    I wouldnt pin your hopes on working for one of those 4 places though. You might get lucky and get offered a job at one of those places, but you might have to apply elsewhere and apply to a lot of places before you get something.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any reason why you only want to work at those places? You'll find it a lot more difficult to find a job and actually get hired if you narrow down your options so much.

You could explain during any interviews you may be offered that you're available during the whole summer holidays but will have to cut down your hours once you start college, which a lot of employers understand.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I would really want to work at one of these places but I really don't mind if it's a different job x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Is there any reason why you only want to work at those places? You'll find it a lot more difficult to find a job and actually get hired if you narrow down your options so much.

You could explain during any interviews you may be offered that you're available during the whole summer holidays but will have to cut down your hours once you start college, which a lot of employers understand.
    This is what quite a lot of people do.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    I've done this before - I had a job before the summer then in summer I worked almost full time, then in September went back to my normal 8 hours. Companies do that a lot with students. Might be worth applying now, do you have your national insurance number yet? When in the summer do you turn 16?

ReputationRep:
    I turn 16 24th of July and I don't have an insurance number, do I need one ? And where did u work ? Were u 16?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.