Turn on thread page Beta

Can't bring myself to eat at Uni watch

ReputationRep:
    I suck at making food for myself. I'm not bad at it, but like you, I seriously cannot be bothered most of the time. I eat one meal a day most days now, and maybe a sandwich or a small snack later on in the evening. When I lived with my family I would occasionally cook for everyone, likewise for me and my girlfriend, but it just doesn't seem worth a hassle to buy all of the fresh ingredients (that'll likely go out of date if I don't use them all) and make a proper, nice meal for just myself. I go days without eating a hot meal sometimes. Just sticking to stuff I don't need to cook... salads, sandwiches, etc.

I've survived my first 6 months of uni with just one saucepan, a plate, and a couple of knives and forks. My cupboards are mostly bare because I buy food each day and eat it that day.

I'm moving into a studio apartment in second year, and will almost certainly stock up and use my own private kitchen a lot more. But yeah, I just cba with the routine of tripping back and forth to the communal kitchen for things.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've struggled with this as well, but for different reasons (depression).

The first thing to remember is: any food is better than no food. Yes, eating Maccies (or any takeaway) every day is a bad idea. But, when we are talking the difference between eating (some nutrition) and not eating (no/limited nutrition), the former will always win out. It's ok to rely on shakes or "crap" food with a multivitamin for a bit - it means you are getting some vital calories.

Secondly, food is really important. You might not feel it, but your body needs calories, vitamins and nutrition to survive so that your cells in your body work properly and that you have enough energy to function properly in daily life.

Ok, talk aside. Some practical tips:

1. If you buy pre-made stuff, look for the cheap but healthier stuff. You can get a stir-fry pack that you can wack on a pan for 2 minutes for a pound.

2. Plastic cutlery, plates etc are your friend. You can just toss them away, no washing up needed.

3. As annoying as it is, clean as you cook and do your washing after eating. It is a lot easier than facing a mountain of piled-up washing.

4. Set a timer. Every day, at a certain time, schedule in time to eat. Stick to it. Reward yourself with a treat every time you eat on schedule. Maybe you can have a takeaway if you manage to eat properly for a few days in a row.

5. Join networks, find peer support. Although societies might be difficult at the moment, there is loads of online support available. If you have coursemates or friends, try to reach out to them and they can help motivate you. Speak to your GP and maybe a counsellor if your uni has one.

6. Easy recipes and one-pot meals are ideal. Some examples of nutritious but easy meals are:

- pasta
    - stir-fry
    - soup
    - a meat like fish (fried in a pan) + vegetables
    - egg/omelette
    - vegetarian chilli
    - basic curry

Once you get a rhythm going, you can do these in 15-20mins or less (some even 5 minutes, like omelettes).

Good luck! Inbox is open if you need more advice or help
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 303Pharma)
    If you've put the hours in the gym, you'd know that body transformation, (whether fat loss, muscle gain, cardio improvement, or a specific sports goal), is around 20% proper exercise, 20% sufficient quality sleep, 60% clean, nutritious, abundant diet.
    Love it when people give off random ass percentages pulled out of imagination and say it so confidently lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deycallmesmithy)
    So i'm in my second year of Uni, but quite frankly hate it! I used to go to the gym all the time and eat well (as in a lot) and I was pretty ripped as well, I still am but i'm sure I have lost weight. These days I never have energy when i go to the gym which generally cuts my workout short, and now i rarely go. I'm also never hungry, and could quite easily go a day on a bowl of cereal and not bat an eyelid. I can rarely be bothered to cook anymore. Like the input, of going downstairs, turning on the oven nd ****, waiting for it to heat up, preparing the food then cooking it, then taking it upstairs to my room to eat on my own (we literally have no where to eat downstairs), then taking my plates nd stuff downstairs and washing everything up, it isn't worth the effort and ok food. I'd rather just go out to Maccies or subway or something, pay a bit more and have some tasty food made for me. However bad it may be. And also be around other people, as it makes me feel less alone i guess, even though i rarely talk to people when I'm out, I actually bought a homeless couple a Maccies last week and had a chat with them which was cool. There we go, not sure if I have a question, I was just curious of peoples thoughts or if anyone else experienced anything similar?!
    Your either depressed or missing your home life. Go see a doctor ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I don't know your financial situation but I would reccomend from what you are saying going into catered halls.

ReputationRep:
    I generally make food I like, Im just not hungry or bothered about eating. Also a lot of the time when I eat I feel ill, which i think subconsciously has made me not want to eat, I actually had a blood test yesterday, am being tested for coeliac disease and underactive and overactive thyroid, as it is in my family, and could explain a lot. Nice idea but It would be cold by the time i got there, maybe i should just take a grill or a toastie maker to class with me? So far the fast food diet has kept me at 12% bodyfat, so I think i'm good for now
    not making assumptions or anything man but this to me sounds like a symptom of depression. Maybe look into that as It could be the cause - you seem to feel down a lot xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CYD123)
    not making assumptions or anything man but this to me sounds like a symptom of depression. Maybe look into that as It could be the cause - you seem to feel down a lot xx
    Yeah, I spoke to a doctor in december over the phone and he prescribed me anti depressants to take for a month. However, It was christmas and I had a lot of family around, so It was hard to tell if it made any difference, as I felt alright. I think the symptoms I originally had were due to a potential thyroid problem, gastroesophageal reflux disease and coeliacs disease, which are all in my family and I am being tested for. Throid problems have symptoms similar to depression. I guess I will know when I get my results back

ReputationRep:
    hope you manage to sort everything out okay xx

Yeah, I spoke to a doctor in december over the phone and he prescribed me anti depressants to take for a month. However, It was christmas and I had a lot of family around, so It was hard to tell if it made any difference, as I felt alright. I think the symptoms I originally had were due to a potential thyroid problem, gastroesophageal reflux disease and coeliacs disease, which are all in my family and I am being tested for. Throid problems have symptoms similar to depression. I guess I will know when I get my results back
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    So i'm in my second year of Uni, but quite frankly hate it! I used to go to the gym all the time and eat well (as in a lot) and I was pretty ripped as well, I still am but i'm sure I have lost weight. These days I never have energy when i go to the gym which generally cuts my workout short, and now i rarely go. I'm also never hungry, and could quite easily go a day on a bowl of cereal and not bat an eyelid. I can rarely be bothered to cook anymore. Like the input, of going downstairs, turning on the oven nd ****, waiting for it to heat up, preparing the food then cooking it, then taking it upstairs to my room to eat on my own (we literally have no where to eat downstairs), then taking my plates nd stuff downstairs and washing everything up, it isn't worth the effort and ok food. I'd rather just go out to Maccies or subway or something, pay a bit more and have some tasty food made for me. However bad it may be. And also be around other people, as it makes me feel less alone i guess, even though i rarely talk to people when I'm out, I actually bought a homeless couple a Maccies last week and had a chat with them which was cool. There we go, not sure if I have a question, I was just curious of peoples thoughts or if anyone else experienced anything similar?!
    Hey,

I've experienced similar loss of motivation in regards to food (and looking after myself in general). Also, one of my close friends went through what sounds like the exact same thing as you in second year too, he lost about 3 stone and I was really worried about him, he just never felt like eating or thought about food, despite cooking lots and making some really nice meals in first year. He'd have a few slices of toast a day, or even not eat for a day or two then order a big Chinese which would last him a couple of days. It was pretty worrying and sad. Now he's in third year he's in a better house with friends who do things and go to the gym with him (rather than just sit around smoking weed and watching shows like his old housemate), and he's gained some of his weight back, though he is trying pretty hard to eat enough so he can do so! Hopefully this just shows you that it can get better.

Are you living in a better place next year?

I also saw someone mention Huel earlier in this thread. I use Huel because I eat terribly, have no motivation to cook (due to mental health, a very small kitchen and housemates who never ever clean up after themselves among other things) so when I did eat it would be rubbish like crisps and biscuits or a takeaway. Huel has a 12 month shelf life, is pretty filling and tasty, and has complete nutrition. All your protein, carbs and fat in a good ratio with essential micronutrients, and all the calories you need if you drink it the right amount of times a day. It's worth a try if you do want to stay healthy but want something super convenient.

Hope this was helpful at all, and good luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHUGURU)
    Hey,

I've experienced similar loss of motivation in regards to food (and looking after myself in general). Also, one of my close friends went through what sounds like the exact same thing as you in second year too, he lost about 3 stone and I was really worried about him, he just never felt like eating or thought about food, despite cooking lots and making some really nice meals in first year. He'd have a few slices of toast a day, or even not eat for a day or two then order a big Chinese which would last him a couple of days. It was pretty worrying and sad. Now he's in third year he's in a better house with friends who do things and go to the gym with him (rather than just sit around smoking weed and watching shows like his old housemate), and he's gained some of his weight back, though he is trying pretty hard to eat enough so he can do so! Hopefully this just shows you that it can get better.

Are you living in a better place next year?

I also saw someone mention Huel earlier in this thread. I use Huel because I eat terribly, have no motivation to cook (due to mental health, a very small kitchen and housemates who never ever clean up after themselves among other things) so when I did eat it would be rubbish like crisps and biscuits or a takeaway. Huel has a 12 month shelf life, is pretty filling and tasty, and has complete nutrition. All your protein, carbs and fat in a good ratio with essential micronutrients, and all the calories you need if you drink it the right amount of times a day. It's worth a try if you do want to stay healthy but want something super convenient.

Hope this was helpful at all, and good luck with everything
    Hey, yeah it was helpful thanks, that Huel sounds like a good idea. I don't know where I will be living next year, I just know it wont be here again. I have some friends in a house of 10, and they asked me if I wanted to live with them next year, but they didnt know whether i would be able to or not yet as it depends on one of the guys getting a work placement abroad (so he wont be living there). They also asked this other guy they who they smoke weed with all the time. So it might be a fight to the death I don't know lol! But yeah theyre the sort of people that play games most the time and smoke weed quite a bit, but then I do go to the gym with thm sometimes, but I'm not sure if that will help my situation. Also, I'm thinking of starting like a 30 or 60 day gym transormation, which i would post on social media, as a means to stopping me quitting, so If I quit then I'm juts gonna look like a tw*t infront of everyone... which I don't want of course haha

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.