Pure Maths differentiation, area and volume

Watch
Ljm2001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A fish tank in the shape of a cuboid is to be made from 1600 cm^2 of glass.
The fish tank will have a square base of side length x cm, and no lid. No glass is wasted. The glass can be assumed to be very thin.
(a) Show that the volume, V cm , of the fish tank is given by V = 400x -x^3/4
(b) Given that x can vary, use differentiation to find the maximum or minimum value of V.
(c) Justify that the value of V you found in part b is a maximum.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Capeking
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Basically, the length and width are both x therefore , surface area will equal to x^2 2xh 2xh which will be x^2 +4xh=1600 rearrange for h which will be h= 400/x - x/4 then you sub that into volume= x^2h and simplify it - for part a
Hanson.p
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The mark scheme is on this, I just had this on a test and it annoyed me. What kind of psycho has a vertical fish task! https://portal.hppc.co.uk/files/vaca...pper_maths.pdf
Zaupaash
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hanson.p)
The mark scheme is on this, I just had this on a test and it annoyed me. What kind of psycho has a vertical fish task! https://portal.hppc.co.uk/files/vaca...pper_maths.pdf
Same! Came up on a test today and spent way too long on it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (102)
48.57%
Take exams next summer (31)
14.76%
Change uni choice through clearing (52)
24.76%
Apply to uni next year instead (19)
9.05%
I'm not applying to university (6)
2.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise