Turn on thread page Beta

Don't want to go to uni but not passionate about apprenticeship options either watch

I'm going through a really weird phase at the moment. I used to be really passionate about wanting to do English / creative writing at uni, but have been thinking about the universities that offer it and they're so far away - if I went for just english there are some near but they aren't massively prestigious.

But it's not just the distance thing either. Frankly I'm fed up with the education system (I was fine all GCSE - got two 9s in English and a 7 in maths and rest a and a* but since joining sixth form I'm losing all hope and motivation to revise.) And I would prefer to earn and learn at the same time, but like what apprenticeship can someone who likes english so much actually do

I'm doing a levels in combined lang/lit, spanish and psychology, and deeply DEEPLY regret not doing english lit A level as it carried far more respectability and I love english so much

I'm terrified I'll never find like minded people at uni due to not wanting to go far (and all the best universities are, evidently also going to prefer english lit a level to what I'm doing). I joined a new sixth form in september and have been stressed and lonely out of my mind ever since as I left my close group of friends.

At the end of the day id love to just earn and learn and then go as a mature student to do English but like I said what apprenticeships would even appeal to someone like me??

Any advice would be appreciated

Please
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm going through a really weird phase at the moment. I used to be really passionate about wanting to do English / creative writing at uni, but have been thinking about the universities that offer it and they're so far away - if I went for just english there are some near but they aren't massively prestigious.

But it's not just the distance thing either. Frankly I'm fed up with the education system (I was fine all GCSE - got two 9s in English and a 7 in maths and rest a and a* but since joining sixth form I'm losing all hope and motivation to revise.) And I would prefer to earn and learn at the same time, but like what apprenticeship can someone who likes english so much actually do

I'm doing a levels in combined lang/lit, spanish and psychology, and deeply DEEPLY regret not doing english lit A level as it carried far more respectability and I love english so much

I'm terrified I'll never find like minded people at uni due to not wanting to go far (and all the best universities are, evidently also going to prefer english lit a level to what I'm doing). I joined a new sixth form in september and have been stressed and lonely out of my mind ever since as I left my close group of friends.

At the end of the day id love to just earn and learn and then go as a mature student to do English but like I said what apprenticeships would even appeal to someone like me??

Any advice would be appreciated
    Look into media related apprenticeships, or you could get some sort of part time work and study distance learning.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    Look into media related apprenticeships, or you could get some sort of part time work and study distance learning.
    I've thought about distance learning but I'm worried I won't be motivated if im not attending lectures or being face to face with tutors.

Creative and digital media sounds good but I don't think it's for me or an area I'd like to go into sadly. I have researched it before but it didn't grab me.

Thank you so much for your reply though x
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I've thought about distance learning but I'm worried I won't be motivated if im not attending lectures or being face to face with tutors.

Creative and digital media sounds good but I don't think it's for me or an area I'd like to go into sadly. I have researched it before but it didn't grab me.

Thank you so much for your reply though x
    there's load of career quizzes online, why not give some a go and that might help narrow things down a bit. Is there anything as a skill that you're really good at? what does motivate you in life if anything?

(Original post by claireestelle)
    there's load of career quizzes online, why not give some a go and that might help narrow things down a bit. Is there anything as a skill that you're really good at? what does motivate you in life if anything?
    I care a lot about people's wellbeing. I would love ro become an author and have sent a novel I've written off to literary agencies (with no luck sadly but that's expected).
    If anything if I could find work relating to English or psychology I'd be happy as they're my areas of interest.

It's just so hard because everyone in my family went to university. Mum and step-grand mother did teacher training, dad did engineering and both brothers did Geography and geology.

The thought of uni scares me because all I've ever wanted to do was english, yet by taking this lang/lit a level I feel like top unis I'd loved to have gone to (I. E. Durham and exeter) will look down on me despite saying they accept it (I've heard horror stories otherwise). Other unis near me are Royal Holloway and Surrey that I could easily commute to but a) surrey doesnt even accept lang/lit and b) I don't think my parents would let me commute.

At the same time I also detest the thought of having to study for 3 years in something I don't necessarily need for a job - then there's the debt of course. English is seen as a prestigious degree by some but for some reason part of me just really wants to g straight into earning after I'm 18.

As you can see I'm really conflicted. I don't want to retake the year with English lit either as I hate it as it is and can't face 2 years +there.

But thank you for the advice. In an ideal world I'd love to do some sort of Apprenticeship in Writing but lmao that will never exist.

Thanks again xx
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I care a lot about people's wellbeing. I would love ro become an author and have sent a novel I've written off to literary agencies (with no luck sadly but that's expected).
    If anything if I could find work relating to English or psychology I'd be happy as they're my areas of interest.

It's just so hard because everyone in my family went to university. Mum and step-grand mother did teacher training, dad did engineering and both brothers did Geography and geology.

The thought of uni scares me because all I've ever wanted to do was english, yet by taking this lang/lit a level I feel like top unis I'd loved to have gone to (I. E. Durham and exeter) will look down on me despite saying they accept it (I've heard horror stories otherwise). Other unis near me are Royal Holloway and Surrey that I could easily commute to but a) surrey doesnt even accept lang/lit and b) I don't think my parents would let me commute.

At the same time I also detest the thought of having to study for 3 years in something I don't necessarily need for a job - then there's the debt of course. English is seen as a prestigious degree by some but for some reason part of me just really wants to g straight into earning after I'm 18.

As you can see I'm really conflicted. I don't want to retake the year with English lit either as I hate it as it is and can't face 2 years +there.

But thank you for the advice. In an ideal world I'd love to do some sort of Apprenticeship in Writing but lmao that will never exist.

Thanks again xx
    Sorry if you have, but haven't you looked into foundation years if you're concerned about meeting entry requirements? Is there are particular reason that you don't want to move from home? If the universities say that they accept it , then it's no loss if you put an application in
    Psychology is tricky to get into without a degree but you could look into that route perhaps

ReputationRep:

Thanks again xx
    How about publishing internships/apprenticeships? If you contact publishing houses, they can tell you if they offer them.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.