Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm in year 11 right now and I've chosen history, philosophy, English literature and law for a levels. I want to do law in uni. I've heard that doing law in sixthform is bad and universities don't like it. Also some people told me that the subjects I chose are too much because all of them are essay based and that I should pick something fun. So I was thinking of maybe dropping law and doing art instead. I really love art and I got a B for gcse last year. But art isn't relevant to what I want to do in the future also I'm scared to choose it for A levels because there might be a lot of work for it and it was time consuming in gcse so it must be way more time consuming in a levels. But I'm not sure. any advice? Should I drop law and do art? Is law a level helpful?
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Do law

Art is slot of work
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    And surely law is kind of your fun subject, as it is something you are really interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Art is a lot of work for A level, and I wouldn't advise it considering that you aren't looking to take the subject beyond A level.

I'd take A level Politics instead of Law - universities don't like Law A level as they end up having to 'unteach' a lot of the stuff you've learnt as the legal system changes so quickly. A level Politics will help you with your History and goes very nicely with your other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    And surely law is kind of your fun subject, as it is something you are really interested in?
    the thing is I just want to do Law in uni cuz my parents want me to for a good job like a doctor or a lawyer and the only thing I'm good at is essay based stuff and art. So I thought the better choice would be do be a lawyer. do you find law fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zach3)
    Art is a lot of work for A level, and I wouldn't advise it considering that you aren't looking to take the subject beyond A level.

I'd take A level Politics instead of Law - universities don't like Law A level as they end up having to 'unteach' a lot of the stuff you've learnt as the legal system changes so quickly. A level Politics will help you with your History and goes very nicely with your other subjects.
    never thought of politics do you do it and if you do is it fun and does it require any maths

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they said you shouldn’t do law in alevels because In university they’re going to teach you from scratch anyways??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zahra_2001)
    never thought of politics do you do it and if you do is it fun and does it require any maths
    I do Politics (old spec though, you'd have to take the new specification), and it's pretty manageable (don't take my word for it though, depends on the person). You just have to learn the exam technique well and use tons of examples. It's pretty similar to History.

For a degree in Law you definitely don't need Law A level. A strong selection of subjects (which you already have) will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    the thing is I just want to do Law in uni cuz my parents want me to for a good job like a doctor or a lawyer and the only thing I'm good at is essay based stuff and art. So I thought the better choice would be do be a lawyer. do you find law fun?
    Nope - I like maths and computer science xD

ReputationRep:
    No to law A Level. You don't actually need 4 A Levels - universities only require 3 so if you think taking art would be too much then don't take it.
    English literature, history and philosophy are a good mix of subjects and more than enough for Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    Nope - I like maths and computer science xD
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mesopotamian.)
    No to law A Level. You don't actually need 4 A Levels - universities only require 3 so if you think taking art would be too much then don't take it.
    English literature, history and philosophy are a good mix of subjects and more than enough for Law.
    true but I don't know I want to take 4 just because incase I don't like a subject I can drop it the next year

ReputationRep:
    true but I don't know I want to take 4 just because incase I don't like a subject I can drop it the next year
    In that case, if your school allows you to drop a subject (some don't now because of the reforms) if I were you, I would go with art if you enjoy it. Do bear in mind that all A Levels are hard work but since you have that option, you could always drop art if you feel overloaded.

Although art isn't directly linked with law, it could help you develop skills for your essay based subjects such as analysis and criticism and you may enjoy it too so it's not completely useless.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.