Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I've been invited for an interview for Bucks Uni on March 7th for Childrens Nursing, just wanted to know if there is anyone else who is going that day?

Also if there is anyone that has attended one before and can give me some ideas as to watch academic health article to take with me?!

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by KLouTayler)
    Hey!

I've been invited for an interview for Bucks Uni on March 7th for Childrens Nursing, just wanted to know if there is anyone else who is going that day?

Also if there is anyone that has attended one before and can give me some ideas as to watch academic health article to take with me?!

Thanks
    Hi KLouTayler

Good luck for your interview with us on Wednesday!

In terms of your article, you could have a look in journals or in the Nursing Times. You should pick an article on something relevant that you are interested in and feel confident talking about. I hope this helps!

I've asked one of our children's nursing Student Ambassadors to drop you a line tomorrow with some information about our courses, so feel free to ask any questions you have about the course or studying at Bucks ahead of that!

Best wishes

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucks New University)
    Hi KLouTayler

Good luck for your interview with us on Wednesday!

In terms of your article, you could have a look in journals or in the Nursing Times. You should pick an article on something relevant that you are interested in and feel confident talking about. I hope this helps!

I've asked one of our children's nursing Student Ambassadors to drop you a line tomorrow with some information about our courses, so feel free to ask any questions you have about the course or studying at Bucks ahead of that!

Best wishes

Laura

Hi Laura

Thank you for your response.

I had chosen an article I found via NHS news which was about mental health diagnosis in pregnancy, whilst I felt I have a passion to be able to discuss this matter, I wasn't sure that is was the right kind of thing. I've also seen an article which is slightly older, from 2017, about putting families at the centre of their childs care in a neonatal unit which I would guess is more appropriate and I myself have had a child in NICU so can relate.

Could you clarify if these are the right type of articles I need to have? Secondly, I have read else where, for the literacy test I will have to write a short piece on my chosen article, could you confirm this?

Thank you

Katie
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi KLouTayler,

My name is Katherine and I'm a current third year child nursing student here at Bucks.

So on the interview day you will have a literacy and maths test, as well as an individual and a group interview. From my interview day, the literacy test was based on a scenario, and we had to show our academic writing skills, as well as showing our thoughts and feelings towards a situation. The maths test is basic GCSE maths, maybe have a look on BBC Bitesize or something similar if you want to do some maths revision. In the group interview, make sure that you speak up, whilst also allowing others to speak. Also, in your individual interview make sure that you explain why you want to be a nurse, and explain in detail the reasoning why you want to do that. Explain any previous medical or healthcare related work experience you've had, or even just working with children. They want to know about you, and want to know whether nursing is right for you. Show your compassion, and explain that you're interested in mental health diagnosis in pregnancy, and the impact it has on the child after birth. If you've done any past research, talk about that too!

With regards to your articles, they can be basically anything that is of interest to you. Try and have a look on academic websites like British Journal of Nursing or the Nursing Standard etc.

Hope this helps! Any other questions please do feel free to ask!

Good luck tomorrow!

Katherine
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Laura

Thank you for your response.

I had chosen an article I found via NHS news which was about mental health diagnosis in pregnancy, whilst I felt I have a passion to be able to discuss this matter, I wasn't sure that is was the right kind of thing. I've also seen an article which is slightly older, from 2017, about putting families at the centre of their childs care in a neonatal unit which I would guess is more appropriate and I myself have had a child in NICU so can relate.

Could you clarify if these are the right type of articles I need to have? Secondly, I have read else where, for the literacy test I will have to write a short piece on my chosen article, could you confirm this?

Thank you

Katie
    Hi KLouTayler

If you feel comfortable talking about these topics and you feel they are relevant to the course you have applied for then either of these articles sound like they would be fine.

For the literacy assessment you would be given another article to read through and you would be asked to write your response to this. We'll be looking at your spelling, grammar, and the way you structure your writing, as well as how you structure your arguement.

We've also listed some general tips and interview advice on our website that you may find useful.

I hope this helps, but do drop myself or Katherine (Bucks New University Student Ambassador) a line if you have any other questions!

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucks New University Student Ambassador)
    Hi KLouTayler,

My name is Katherine and I'm a current third year child nursing student here at Bucks.

So on the interview day you will have a literacy and maths test, as well as an individual and a group interview. From my interview day, the literacy test was based on a scenario, and we had to show our academic writing skills, as well as showing our thoughts and feelings towards a situation. The maths test is basic GCSE maths, maybe have a look on BBC Bitesize or something similar if you want to do some maths revision. In the group interview, make sure that you speak up, whilst also allowing others to speak. Also, in your individual interview make sure that you explain why you want to be a nurse, and explain in detail the reasoning why you want to do that. Explain any previous medical or healthcare related work experience you've had, or even just working with children. They want to know about you, and want to know whether nursing is right for you. Show your compassion, and explain that you're interested in mental health diagnosis in pregnancy, and the impact it has on the child after birth. If you've done any past research, talk about that too!

With regards to your articles, they can be basically anything that is of interest to you. Try and have a look on academic websites like British Journal of Nursing or the Nursing Standard etc.

Hope this helps! Any other questions please do feel free to ask!

Good luck tomorrow!

Katherine
    Hi Katherine

Thank you so much for you reply, it was very useful in preparing!

I'm very pleased to say that I've just received an offer so my next question is; is there any books you recommend reading before starting? or anything I can do to prepare before September?

Thanks again

Katie
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Katherine

Thank you so much for you reply, it was very useful in preparing!

I'm very pleased to say that I've just received an offer so my next question is; is there any books you recommend reading before starting? or anything I can do to prepare before September?

Thanks again

Katie
    Hi KLouTayler

Congratulations on your offer! That's great news.

I've just checked with one of my colleagues about things you could do to prepare. She has suggested brushing up on your anatomy and physiology knowledge, and also child development.

Are you coming to our nursing applicant visit day next weekend?

We look forward to you starting with us in September!

Laura

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.