Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So, I am in Year 11 at a comprehensive school in England, and next year I will be going to college to study A-Level Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and History. My mock exam grades (GCSE) were:
    Business Studies: A*
    English Language: 9
    English Literature: 6
    French: 6
    History: 8
    Mathematics: 7
    Religious Education: 8
    Science (Double Award): 7/7
    -I am going to improve on these grades by working hard, but that is just a rough idea of how I am doing at the moment. I will be doing a month of voluntary work in Africa this summer, and I will be starting to volunteer for 3 hours every week at a local hospice very soon. I have also applied for work experience at a hospital. However, I don't have any sports/musical instruments etc. that will help me to stand out from other medicine applicants. Does anyone have any tips, perhaps from a successful applicant?I know it's early to be thinking about this, but I don't want to be unprepared at all.
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Don't worry about not having a musical instrument/sport, in all honesty med schools don't care so much about those things as long as you're able to give at least some examples of e.g. times when you've worked well in a team or hobbies that will help you unwind during med school. Applying is more of a tick-box thing than trying to stand out.

This wiki is super useful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

It's hard and time-consuming to give super general advice so I'd recommend reading through the wiki and asking on the forum again if you have some specific questions. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    hey, thanks so much xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.