Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recently been accepted onto the study abroad programme at my uni but I have a few questions about the travel grant:

1. When do I have to book my plane tickets by?

2. I have been looking at tickets online and the cheapest airline is Wowair but I have to pay extra for luggage (carry-on and check-in) as they only allow 1 personal item (like a backpack) so if I pay extra for luggage, will the travel grant cover this?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by lili4648)
    I have recently been accepted onto the study abroad programme at my uni but I have a few questions about the travel grant:

1. When do I have to book my plane tickets by?

2. I have been looking at tickets online and the cheapest airline is Wowair but I have to pay extra for luggage (carry-on and check-in) as they only allow 1 personal item (like a backpack) so if I pay extra for luggage, will the travel grant cover this?
    Hi lili4648,

In answer to your questions, there is no date in which you have to book your flights by and the Travel Grant will cover the cost of 1 hold bag up to approx 23kg.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    If you don't mind me asking, how do I go about selecting the flights? Do I need to choose the cheapest or a direct flight?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    If you don't mind me asking, how do I go about selecting the flights? Do I need to choose the cheapest or a direct flight?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you!
    Hi lili4648,

The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard or economy is expected.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the past two years I have been given the maximum maintenance loan but when I apply for the study abroad maintenance loan, it says that I am only eligible for half of the maximum. I am confused because I am relying on the maintenance loan to pay for my accommodation whilst abroad. Also, as I am going to the US for study abroad, is that considered to be part of the Erasmus scheme?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi, the past two years I have been given the maximum maintenance loan but when I apply for the study abroad maintenance loan, it says that I am only eligible for half of the maximum. I am confused because I am relying on the maintenance loan to pay for my accommodation whilst abroad. Also, as I am going to the US for study abroad, is that considered to be part of the Erasmus scheme?
    Hi Lili4648,

It sounds like the system may think you're applying for a placement. Can I just ask, has the system given you a figure for your maintenance loan?

Thank you,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for taking the time to help me. It turns out that I just had to input my parents income to be eligible for a higher maintenance loan.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you for taking the time to help me. It turns out that I just had to input my parents income to be eligible for a higher maintenance loan.
    You're very welcome, glad to hear it's resolved.

Best wishes,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Does the flight have to arrive at the airport closest to the university or can the flight arrive in another state?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Does the flight have to arrive at the airport closest to the university or can the flight arrive in another state?
    Hi lili4648,

Where are you flying to and where is your university?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the university is in Wisconsin and I would like to fly to North Dakota.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi, the university is in Wisconsin and I would like to fly to North Dakota.
    Hi Lili4648,

We would advise that the flight should arrive at the airport closest to the Uni.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    How long before the start of the term, am I allowed to travel to the US?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    How long before the start of the term, am I allowed to travel to the US?
    Hi lili4648,

There isn't a specific date of when you need to arrive in the US as long as you're there before the start of your course.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    How does it work when booking flights home? Do I need to come home as soon as the term ends or can I stay for a week or two after term ends?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    How does it work when booking flights home? Do I need to come home as soon as the term ends or can I stay for a week or two after term ends?
    Hi lili,

The flights don't need to be booked for the exact date that term ends, we will still reimburse the flight if its 1 or 2 weeks later.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    My housing contract at the institution abroad states that I need to vacate the premises within 24 hours of my final exam of that term. As I am not aware of my exam dates yet, how do I go about booking the flights for going abroad? Should I just purchase a one-way ticket to the US then buy a one-way ticket to the UK when I am aware of my exam dates? Or, as I have seen on https://www.gotogate.co.uk/, there is an option to buy a flexible ticket for £100 extra (on top of the airline price), will this be covered by the travel grant?

ReputationRep:
    My housing contract at the institution abroad states that I need to vacate the premises within 24 hours of my final exam of that term. As I am not aware of my exam dates yet, how do I go about booking the flights for going abroad? Should I just purchase a one-way ticket to the US then buy a one-way ticket to the UK when I am aware of my exam dates? Or, as I have seen on https://www.gotogate.co.uk/, there is an option to buy a flexible ticket for £100 extra (on top of the airline price), will this be covered by the travel grant?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi lili4648,

We would not reimbursement the extra £100, we would advise that you book two single journeys to make sure we can pay this via the Travel Grant.

Thanks Erin.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.