Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature at A Level. I want to do something Biology related at degree level but I'm not entirely sure which course to go for.

I love animals and human biology, not so keen on cells and microbiology. I do like marine stuff as well. I'd like to go into a career which is mainly active (not at a desk) and preferably with a high and reliable pay. I'm worried about not having a respected/ useful degree because I don't want to waste my money at university.

Any suggestions on what course I should do? And a good uni for biology related degrees? Sorry to be so vague.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I study Biology at university and I prefer the zoology and ecology side to as it as well. What you need to do is look at the course details for Biology at some of the unis you're interested in, and browse the core and optional modules offered each year. I really hated cell biology and physiology but it's something most universities will make you do in first year. By second year half of my modules were zoology or ecology based, and now in third year all of my modules and dissertation are based on zoology and ecology because we were given more choice as time went on.

You could just do a Zoology degree and you wouldn't have to do any molecular or cell biology etc except maybe one core module in first year. I'm personally not sure about the career prospects but I did Biology because it's a lot broader and keeps my options open. Only down side is that there were compulsory modules I had to take in second year (molecular bio and immunology) which I was terrible at but had to do, and that affected my overall grade for that year.

Other courses you could do include anthropology (which is like zoology but more specifically about primates and behaviour/cognition) or marine biology. On my degree I've had the choice of taking modules from anthropology, zoology and currently doing one on aquatic species, so doing Biology does give you a lot of options. I know others on my course who are doing the complete opposite of me and taking mostly biomed or nutrition modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I study Biology at university and I prefer the zoology and ecology side to as it as well. What you need to do is look at the course details for Biology at some of the unis you're interested in, and browse the core and optional modules offered each year. I really hated cell biology and physiology but it's something most universities will make you do in first year. By second year half of my modules were zoology or ecology based, and now in third year all of my modules and dissertation are based on zoology and ecology because we were given more choice as time went on.

You could just do a Zoology degree and you wouldn't have to do any molecular or cell biology etc except maybe one core module in first year. I'm personally not sure about the career prospects but I did Biology because it's a lot broader and keeps my options open. Only down side is that there were compulsory modules I had to take in second year (molecular bio and immunology) which I was terrible at but had to do, and that affected my overall grade for that year.

Other courses you could do include anthropology (which is like zoology but more specifically about primates and behaviour/cognition) or marine biology. On my degree I've had the choice of taking modules from anthropology, zoology and currently doing one on aquatic species, so doing Biology does give you a lot of options. I know others on my course who are doing the complete opposite of me and taking mostly biomed or nutrition modules.
    Hey, thanks very much. would you recommend biology over a zoology course (for example)???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madeleineholder)
    Hey, thanks very much. would you recommend biology over a zoology course (for example)???
    I would, yes much more options doing a broad degree like Biology than if you were to choose something more specific like Zoology or Anthropology. Every university teaches Biology differently though, so that's what you need to look out for (e.g some will be merged with biomed and biochemistry for most modules with no zoology or ecology modules offered at all).

http://urweb.roehampton.ac.uk/progra...nces/index.asp

This is the course I do at Roehampton, just scroll down to each level and click on each module to get an idea of what they're about. Included a 6 day field trip in second year and we do quite a lot of one-day field trips too in second and third year. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I would, yes much more options doing a broad degree like Biology than if you were to choose something more specific like Zoology or Anthropology. Every university teaches Biology differently though, so that's what you need to look out for (e.g some will be merged with biomed and biochemistry for most modules with no zoology or ecology modules offered at all).

http://urweb.roehampton.ac.uk/progra...nces/index.asp

This is the course I do at Roehampton, just scroll down to each level and click on each module to get an idea of what they're about. Included a 6 day field trip in second year and we do quite a lot of one-day field trips too in second and third year. Hope that helps!
    thanks, yeah that really useful

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.