Turn on thread page Beta

From engineering to law watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    SO i do physics, maths and chem A-level. That would be an ideal person to do eng, but i have been thinking for a long time about law? I just think it would be a better degree than eng for the future. Help?

ReputationRep:
    Law is over-saturated with graduates. You have no idea how hard it is to get a training contract/pupillage. If you do want to do law then I think it's better to get a engineering degree, then apply to law firms to get your law conversion funded. That way, you have a lot of career options in the future.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Any subject combination is acceptable for Law, including full sets of STEM subjects.

However as above it's considerably more competitive to become fully qualified and get onto a career "track" in the legal sector. Getting a training contract funding a GDL with an engineering background however isn't going to be considerably easier than getting a good training contract from a Law background in the first place though. If you are merely unsure about engineering and would like to have law as an option, then doing the engineering degree gives you both opportunties. If you can't stand the thought of doing an engineering degree (I relate, trust me ) though then by all means go with the Law course - muddling through an engineering course, hating it, and struggling to scrape a 2:1 if not getting a lower classification is going to be a far worse route in that case.

You may want to consider looking into the solicitor apprenticeships, or even some paralegal apprenticeships, which could be a good way to at least experience the legal sector while earning money. This would also preserve your SFE entitlement (unless you earn a law degree through the solicitor apprenticeship - and even then you can do a funded part time engineering course) so you can go back to get a degree later/if you don't like it. The same doesn't apply so much to engineering as engineering apprenticeships tend to not be as representative of graduate engineering roles until much later in the process, if at all (depends on the apprenticeship).

In absolute terms though, engineering has far better graduate employment prospects than Law. You can apply to any "generalist" position/grade scheme, and (many) training contracts to get your LPC (and GDL, both of which are being phased out over the next ~15 years or so anyway) with both degrees, but engineering grads also have all the many engineering roles as well as numerous other numerate positions (in finance and other sectors) they can apply to. Neither degree is necessarily "harder" than the other, for that matter - although one may be easier or harder for you specifically, depending on your personal inclinations and strengths.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.