Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, Doing this circular motion exam question:
Name:  Screenshot_539.png
Views: 100
Size:  185.8 KB
and I'm on part a)ii).

The mark scheme uses the fact that R = mg - F but I can't work out why. The reaction force is acting upwards, the weight is acting downwards, and the centripetal force, F, is acting downwards too.

The car isn't in the air or going through the floor, so in my mind, R must be equal to the sum of the downwards forces, aka R = MG + F.

Can someone explain this to me please? Thanks
phys981
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The reaction force is up, the weight is down, and the centripetal force is the resultant of these

F= mg - R (because F is downwards towards the centre of the circle)

Then rearrange.

Whenever you look at a circular motion question, look at the forces which are acting and make the resultant of these the centripetal force.
NathCave
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stuart4)
The reaction force is acting upwards, the weight is acting downwards, and the centripetal force, F, is acting downwards too.
There is no such thing as centripetal force. It is simply a name given to the result of other forces that act on a body. It is not in itself a separate force.
Using Newton's 2nd Law, a force must act if there is an acceleration. If you do Mechanics 3, you will derive that this acceleration is towards the centre for circular motion (or you are just told this and never taught why).
Hence you know that the resultant of weight and normal reaction acts towards the centre, and ergo mg > R when in contact with a surface. The resultant (named centripetal for the sole purpose of tagging a name on things to help understand them) force is simply mg - R (resolving forces perpendicular to tangent of circular motion).

(Original post by stuart4)
The car isn't in the air or going through the floor
No, however without the resultant force acting downwards, the car would simply fly over the bridge at a tangent as if it were a ramp.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (277)
61.15%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.86%