Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Losing Scottish accent and Scottish identity watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    I am back and ready to talk more about this. I am hoping to work on cruise ships when I am older. I would rather not be labelled as the Scottish guy, and would preferably just be known as British. Obviously I would still visit my family for a couple of weeks each year, but that's as far as my association with Scotland will go. Not a place where I think I can really be myself. At least London is large and more diverse.
    You will get labels either way, if you adopt a british accent you'll be the english guy or the londoner or wherever you choose your accent to be. Also cruisers like to know where their entertainers(presuming you're going in that direction as your job) are from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    You will get labels either way, if you adopt a british accent you'll be the english guy or the londoner or wherever you choose your accent to be. Also cruisers like to know where their entertainers(presuming you're going in that direction as your job) are from.
    Yes - I want to work on the Cruise Director's Staff, who basically host all of the activities. I would probably lie and say that I am from England and maybe crack a couple of light hearted jokes at Scotland's expense. I would love to be known as the Londoner anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gay, so the opinion of English women in terms of accents doesn't matter to me.

Scotland has a better quality of life for youth than England? Said who? I hate living here. Nothing to do, and it isn't a nice country at all. Maybe the countryside is pretty, but if you get a bit deeper into the country, you'll see it's true colours. Better than many, but when compared to most other places in Europe, it doesn't compare.
    Edinburgh is the nicest tourist city in the UK with nice restaurants and stuff to do. Much better than London.
    Glasgow has always been the poorest city in Scotland and the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sueright)
    Edinburgh is a nice touristy city with nice restaurants and stuff to do.
    Glasgow has always been the poorest city in Scotland and the UK.
    I do like Edinburgh, I will admit. Feel a lot more at ease there than Glasgow.
    Glasgow has always been rotten, I won't be living there after 18. If it is one of the poorest cities, then even more the reason to cut my ties with it.

ReputationRep:
    As an Englishman currently in Glasgow, your OP sounds like the kind of post an Englishman who's never actually been to Glasgow would write. Which area are you in bud?

ReputationRep:
    I do like Edinburgh, I will admit. Feel a lot more at ease there than Glasgow.
    Glasgow has always been rotten, I won't be living there after 18. If it is one of the poorest cities, then even more the reason to cut my ties with it.
    Yes but Glasgow has very cheap houses so it great for first time buyers.
    It is improving its image. Glasgow uni is a good university.
    There's a good international community of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    As an Englishman currently in Glasgow, your OP sounds like the kind of post an Englishman who's never actually been to Glasgow would write. Which area are you in bud?
    Coatbridge. About 8 miles to the east, but I go to school in the city centre so am in there every weekday.

The town is pretty much everything that I see wrong with Scotland. Full of religious people, full of neds, nothing to do, run down...

ReputationRep:
    Yes but Glasgow has very cheap houses so it great for first time buyers.
    It is improving its image. Glasgow uni is a good university.
    There's a good international community of students.
    Glasgow just doesn't do it for me. I know deep down that it isn't my true home.
    I would rather have a flat in London than a full sized house in Glasgow. Better to be where your heart is.

ReputationRep:
    I was on another thread and it went a bit off topic due to me mentioning this issue, so will create a new thread to talk about it.

I personally want to lose my Scottish accent. I don't like the country and don't want an attachment to it. I personally just want to erase it from me. People on that thread seemed to disagree with me, but here's exactly why:
    1) Some of the areas around me are among the lowest in terms of life expectancy in the UK.
    2) Glasgow itself. A dull city and devoid of character. Especially Sauchiehall Street.
    3) Too many Glaswegians are intimidating, and some are even downright aggressive.
    4) Many of the areas (especially the suburbs) are very run down.
    5) Lack of gay community in Glasgow. I can't be gay and Glaswegian.
    6) The suburbs are full of overly religious people, especially my town.
    7) Accent - sounds tacky and low-class.
    8) Nothing interesting to do in the area.

You can see that I don't honour my heritage, but ultimately, I feel that it would be a good thing to get rid of it in order to be the person who I want to be and to achieve what I want in life. I don't want the fact that I am from Glasgow being a barrier.
    1. That's completely irrelevant
    2. Never been but according to everyone I know who has its one of the better cities they've visited
    3. That's a stereotype, having met Glaswegians they just seem normal and every city has intimidating people
    4. So, the same as basically ever UK major city, including London
    5. Yes you can
    6. Again, irrelevant
    7. I mean, just wow. That's ridiculous
    8. Its a big city, there's stuff to do

You really are overestimating how nice London is. There's some proper shitholes in London, same as any other city

Nothing wrong with leaving your home city but to want to cut all ties with it including changing your accent is a bit much. Being from Glasgow won't be a barrier unless you want it to be, most people won't judge you based on being from Glasgow.

On a sidenote, you said that you wanted to work on cruise ships (I think) and refer to yourself as English? Between you and me, the Scots have a better rep abroad than the English do, so being Scottish certainly isn't a barrier there

ReputationRep:
    I would rather have a flat in London than a full sized house in Glasgow. Better to be where your heart is.
    You are looking at 250k for a small 1 bed flat in London in a decent area.
    London housing market is broken.

ReputationRep:
    You are looking at 250k for a small 1 bed flat in London in a decent area.
    London housing market is broken.
    Not sure what I would do then, because I'm certainly not vacationing in Glasgow when I am off the ships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrelaiBoy)
    1. That's completely irrelevant
    2. Never been but according to everyone I know who has its one of the better cities they've visited
    3. That's a stereotype, having met Glaswegians they just seem normal and every city has intimidating people
    4. So, the same as basically ever UK major city, including London
    5. Yes you can
    6. Again, irrelevant
    7. I mean, just wow. That's ridiculous
    8. Its a big city, there's stuff to do

You really are overestimating how nice London is. There's some proper shitholes in London, same as any other city

Nothing wrong with leaving your home city but to want to cut all ties with it including changing your accent is a bit much. Being from Glasgow won't be a barrier unless you want it to be, most people won't judge you based on being from Glasgow.

On a sidenote, you said that you wanted to work on cruise ships (I think) and refer to yourself as English? Between you and me, the Scots have a better rep abroad than the English do, so being Scottish certainly isn't a barrier there
    London is a large city with more to offer, which is why I want to live there.

I really want nothing else to do with Glasgow, and if I didn't have my parents there, I would not return very much at all. I loathe the city and accent, so want to get rid of it. You only live once.

As for the thing on cruise ships, there is very little Scottish people who work on ships. I would fit in better if I said I was from England. I know the team quite well and very few of the really successful people in my desired division are Scottish. It's partially about fitting in, but also just that I don't want to identify as Scottish. It isn't the true me. I'm sure that I am not the first employee on cruise ships that has lied to customers and colleagues about their background.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived outside of Liverpool (just about) for years and years now and I've never lost my accent, but it's a funny one. Some people do judge you on it (especially in academia!), so I can recognise parts of what OP is getting at.

Personally I love my heritage and that, but it's ok if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    Coatbridge. About 8 miles to the east, but I go to school in the city centre so am in there every weekday.
    Ah I see. I'm at uni of glasgow so live in the west end, and it's all actually nice round there. Centre I don't particularly venture to much unless I need to buy something a bit weird but can see how it could get boring if you were in that bit on a permanent basis. I guess now I know stuff I'll actually address the OP

1) Some of the areas around me are among the lowest in terms of life expectancy in the UK.
    2) Glasgow itself. A dull city and devoid of character. Especially Sauchiehall Street.
    3) Too many Glaswegians are intimidating, and some are even downright aggressive.
    4) Many of the areas (especially the suburbs) are very run down.
    5) Lack of gay community in Glasgow. I can't be gay and Glaswegian.
    6) The suburbs are full of overly religious people, especially my town.
    7) Accent - sounds tacky and low-class.
    8) Nothing interesting to do in the area.
    1) Doesn't imply you personally would die earlier
    2) The middle around Buchannan and Sauchiehall are rather bland and bleurgh, but other areas further west are better. Gotta remember it's a massive place.
    3) Are they? Only Glaswegians I've had any real trouble with have been the teenagers and kids, everybody else seems fine to me.
    4) I'll give you that one. Sometimes you take a wrong turn and suddenly you've entered the white equivalent of Ethiopia.
    5) The student community in uni of glasgow is incredibly pro gay, and the LGBT society is incredibly active. Outside of that I couldn't say, what with my attraction to women n all that
    6) Not something I've come across. Would've thought living somewhere like Maryhill or anywhere in the east end would've made one lose their faith
    7) I like it myself, sounds far better than bland English ones. That said, this is more of a personal taste thing so can't really convince you otherwise. No need to hate yourself for it, it sounds fine.
    8) Depends on your age, interests and specific area. If you're under 18 and/or don't like drinking then the middle has nothing for you.

In general I think you're ******** on Glasgow a bit more than it deserves, but you know you want to leave in the future then nobody's really forcing you to stay. Changing your accent is pointless. Only your fellow scots will be able to tell it's Glasgow specifically. Majority of English I know can't differentiate between different areas of Scotland. When people meet you they are already more likely to not associate you with the bad things that you associate the accent with. If you plan on moving to England, your accent will not be barrier at all as it would likely be solely you associating it with Glasgow specifically.

Besides, forcing your accent to change would be a lot of effort and utterly bamboozle anybody that already knows you at the moment. Anyway if you lived away from there for a long period of time it'd likely become less pronounced anyway. My Dad was born in Glasgow but he's lived outside of Scotland so long that any trace has just ****ed off and you'd never tell he wasn't English.

Could move to the north of England. Pretty cheap property round there, can get some 5 beds in Cumbria for like 300k. London seems overrated imo, I'm not sure why people from there have such a heavy attachment to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I've lived outside of Liverpool (just about) for years and years now and I've never lost my accent, but it's a funny one. Some people do judge you on it (especially in academia!), so I can recognise parts of what OP is getting at.

Personally I love my heritage and that, but it's ok if you don't.
    Liverpool has really came into it's own with the Liverpool One centre, but the suburbs are said to be just as bad as Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool has really came into it's own with the Liverpool One centre, but the suburbs are said to be just as bad as Glasgow.
    Can't comment on Glasgow, but the shite you see (especially on here) about Liverpool is vastly overstated. I live outside the city but all my family is still there and I'm back there multiple times a week, including the 'rough' bits (I'm from Aigburth and me Ma is from Dingle - my nan was from Chinatown and I still have cousins living in town and in the inner city areas now). No better or worse than any other major city. Some of the towns around Liverpool are pound-for-pound worse than Liverpool is (I live in one of them).

ReputationRep:
    Literally every single person I know from glasgow is gay. I'm not even exaggerating, once you reach a certain age your whole friend group becomes overwhelmingly queer with people you knew from school coming out and people you meet along the way picking up that hey, this guy's one of us. Glasgow's gay scene might not be as big as London's, but it's there and it's not going anywhere.

Your other reasons just seem to be a long list of internalised self hatred about your identity and where you come from. I'm not going to try and convince you to love your hometown, plenty of people have a complicated relationship with where they grew up, but you might want to re-examine why you feel so strongly repulsed by your own voice and culture. I doubt that's something you put on yourself with no outside influence.

At the end of the day you're free to identify however you want, and there's nothing stopping you from rejecting scotland completely and setting up home somewhere else. But wouldn't it be nicer not to hate part of yourself for no real reason? You can acknowledge where you came from without self loathing or mindless patriotism. There's a happy medium and you'll probably feel better if you tackle the root cause of your feelings instead of just running away and pretending to be someone else.

ReputationRep:
    London is a large city with more to offer, which is why I want to live there.

I really want nothing else to do with Glasgow, and if I didn't have my parents there, I would not return very much at all. I loathe the city and accent, so want to get rid of it. You only live once.

As for the thing on cruise ships, there is very little Scottish people who work on ships. I would fit in better if I said I was from England. I know the team quite well and very few of the really successful people in my desired division are Scottish. It's partially about fitting in, but also just that I don't want to identify as Scottish. It isn't the true me. I'm sure that I am not the first employee on cruise ships that has lied to customers and colleagues about their background.
    London is a ridiculously expensive place to live, especially anywhere decent. Housing especially is very expensive

Changing your accent won't make you fit in more and lying about being English wouldn't either. To be brutally honest if you lied about being from England and changed your accent to match it (which would be pretty difficult) it would alienate you more from your colleagues than just saying; "I'm from Glasgow"

ReputationRep:
    English women find Scottish accents attractive and English people are on the whole jealous of Scotland because it is more progressive than England and has a better quality of life for young people. Many English people are moving to Scotland because it is a nice country overall.
    It's hardly much different to England in terms of how "progressive" it is. I moved to it because it's a nice country and less "diverse" than most of Britain. The accent is nice, can be hit and miss, but if I were the OP I wouldn't try lose it, as much as I like certain southern English accents, like RP.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see. I'm at uni of glasgow so live in the west end, and it's all actually nice round there. Centre I don't particularly venture to much unless I need to buy something a bit weird but can see how it could get boring if you were in that bit on a permanent basis. I guess now I know stuff I'll actually address the OP
    The West End is a nice area, if a bit boring. Again, part of London's attraction is simply how much it has to offer. I've been there a lot, and it has become homely for me.

1) Doesn't imply you personally would die earlier
    2) The middle around Buchannan and Sauchiehall are rather bland and bleurgh, but other areas further west are better. Gotta remember it's a massive place.
    3) Are they? Only Glaswegians I've had any real trouble with have been the teenagers and kids, everybody else seems fine to me.
    4) I'll give you that one. Sometimes you take a wrong turn and suddenly you've entered the white equivalent of Ethiopia.
    5) The student community in uni of glasgow is incredibly pro gay, and the LGBT society is incredibly active. Outside of that I couldn't say, what with my attraction to women n all that
    6) Not something I've come across. Would've thought living somewhere like Maryhill or anywhere in the east end would've made one lose their faith
    7) I like it myself, sounds far better than bland English ones. That said, this is more of a personal taste thing so can't really convince you otherwise. No need to hate yourself for it, it sounds fine.
    8) Depends on your age, interests and specific area. If you're under 18 and/or don't like drinking then the middle has nothing for you.
    I had to laugh at the comments about Maryhill/east end. I completely agree, but my area at least, is completely peppered with Catholics.

In general I think you're ******** on Glasgow a bit more than it deserves, but you know you want to leave in the future then nobody's really forcing you to stay. Changing your accent is pointless. Only your fellow scots will be able to tell it's Glasgow specifically. Majority of English I know can't differentiate between different areas of Scotland. When people meet you they are already more likely to not associate you with the bad things that you associate the accent with. If you plan on moving to England, your accent will not be barrier at all as it would likely be solely you associating it with Glasgow specifically.
    It's just what I would rather have. I want to fit in, and not be known as the Scottish guy. I still feel it has a negative connotation.

Besides, forcing your accent to change would be a lot of effort and utterly bamboozle anybody that already knows you at the moment. Anyway if you lived away from there for a long period of time it'd likely become less pronounced anyway. My Dad was born in Glasgow but he's lived outside of Scotland so long that any trace has just ****ed off and you'd never tell he wasn't English.
    I don't care if other people are bamboozled by my accent. It's my life, not theirs.

Could move to the north of England. Pretty cheap property round there, can get some 5 beds in Cumbria for like 300k. London seems overrated imo, I'm not sure why people from there have such a heavy attachment to it.
    Cumbria is essentially an English Scotland though, and isn't as accessible as other places. I'm not a fan of the north of England either, give me the south any day.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.