Turn on thread page Beta

Losing Scottish accent and Scottish identity watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah I've timed it nicely to get on there next year when my new line goes to australia and asia, just got to keep fingers crossed for availability.
    Sydney is said to be a beautiful sailaway. The places in New Zealand also look absolutely stunning. I've heard that Australia is the magical place for cruise ship workers to go.

(Original post by Gofre)
    I actually went from Ventura (2008, 3200 passengers) to Oriana, the smallest and oldest ship in the fleet at the time (P&O hadn't bought back Adonia yet), and then went onto Britannia for my most recent contract. I can honestly say the on-board experience was largely consistent across all three ships. There are differences of course, but I honestly don't have a favourite in terms of the ship itself outside of the two large ships having much better crew decks :yep:
    So, a fair variety of ships that you have done then. I think it would be good to do a different class of ship for each contract. I can imagine that returning to the same ship would get boring, especially if you are on for 6 months at a time.
    The better crew decks will always be a bonus. I can imagine that there is a great deal of fun that goes on in the crew areas. I saw something once about a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew, and an Atheist all walking into the crew bar and having a good night together with $1 Coronas. I would imagine that ship life is full of diversity.

May I ask you this - what department do you work in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    Sydney is said to be a beautiful sailaway. The places in New Zealand also look absolutely stunning. I've heard that Australia is the magical place for cruise ship workers to go.
    Yeah australia is a lot of ship worker's bucket list destination. Except for if that means working for P&O Australia, which is by all accounts hell on earth :ahee:

So, a fair variety of ships that you have done then. I think it would be good to do a different class of ship for each contract. I can imagine that returning to the same ship would get boring, especially if you are on for 6 months at a time.
    Yeah it's always nice to try something new. My next contract is on a luxury ship with less than 800 passengers, so that will be a very different experience.

The better crew decks will always be a bonus.
    It's not the most important thing about the ship, but it's certainly nice to have. I spent four months in the caribbean on Britannia and after the first few weeks it was easier to just go up to the crew deck than paying for taxis to the beach every day. But on Oriana when I was in the sweltering humidity of south america and then straight over into sub-zero Norway, it wouldn't have been of much use at all!

I can imagine that there is a great deal of fun that goes on in the crew areas. I saw something once about a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew, and an Atheist all walking into the crew bar and having a good night together with $1 Coronas. I would imagine that ship life is full of diversity.
    Yep, sounds about right!

May I ask you this - what department do you work in?
    I work in the shops, the work is boring as hell but we get the most time ashore of any department besides the theatre cast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah australia is a lot of ship worker's bucket list destination. Except for if that means working for P&O Australia, which is by all accounts hell on earth :ahee:
    Does that line get a bad reputation?

(Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah it's always nice to try something new. My next contract is on a luxury ship with less than 800 passengers, so that will be a very different experience.
    That will certainly be quite the difference to Britannia! Is that still with P&O or another line?

(Original post by Gofre)
    It's not the most important thing about the ship, but it's certainly nice to have. I spent four months in the caribbean on Britannia and after the first few weeks it was easier to just go up to the crew deck than paying for taxis to the beach every day. But on Oriana when I was in the sweltering humidity of south america and then straight over into sub-zero Norway, it wouldn't have been of much use at all!
    I'm sure it is always a nice spot to be, especially if you don't feel like getting off one day.

(Original post by Gofre)
    Yep, sounds about right!
    That would certainly make for some interesting conversations. Hopefully things such as homophobia are banned.

(Original post by Gofre)
    I work in the shops, the work is boring as hell but we get the most time ashore of any department besides the theatre cast.
    Oh well, there is pros and cons to every job, right? Essentially you get to travel for free if you work on the shops as they are not allowed to open whilst the ship is in port.

ReputationRep:
    Does that line get a bad reputation?

Not from guests, but it's notoriously hard work for crew.

That will certainly be quite the difference to Britannia! Is that still with P&O or another line?

It's a different cruise line, P&O our selling their last small ship (the Adonia) and doubling down on megaships going forward.

That would certainly make for some interesting conversations. Hopefully things such as homophobia are banned.

Conduct towards other crew is something they take seriously. With so many cultures there are inevitably clashes from time to time but for the most part it's all pretty chilled out.

Oh well, there is pros and cons to every job, right?
    Yep! Unless you're a dancer, they have the easiest life ever :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    [/b]

Not from guests, but it's notoriously hard work for crew.

It's a different cruise line, P&O our selling their last small ship (the Adonia) and doubling down on megaships going forward.

Conduct towards other crew is something they take seriously. With so many cultures there are inevitably clashes from time to time but for the most part it's all pretty chilled out.

Yep! Unless you're a dancer, they have the easiest life ever :ahee:
    Here's to a great upcoming contract for you on the new line!
    I'm now beginning to get really excited about working on cruise ships. Hopefully these next 5 years will fly in and my dreams will become reality. Thanks for all of your advice!

ReputationRep:
    Here's to a great upcoming contract for you on the new line!
    I'm now beginning to get really excited about working on cruise ships. Hopefully these next 5 years will fly in and my dreams will become reality. Thanks for all of your advice!
    No problem, feel free to drop me a PM if you ever have questions :yy:

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.