Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

My family all seem to want me to do an Apprenticeship, but I want to go degree watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, sorry if this isn't the right board, wasn't sure which one to choose

I have applied for uni, for Electrical and Electronic engineering, and have 3 conditionals, with easy conditions. My whole family seems to want me to take an apprenticeship instead. I've applied for a couple of apprenticeships to keep them happy, but I'm trying to tell them that I'd rather have the student life, and learn more, rather than getting an HNC after 3 years. Help me please!!

ReputationRep:
    In the nicest possible way - B******s to your family.

You have to live with the decision and you can't live your life on someones else's opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want. Apprenticeships are an option because its cheaper than university. But personally i would do a degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crisildaj)
    Do what you want. Apprenticeships are an option because its cheaper than university. But personally i would do a degree
    I've got the advantage of being in Scotland, and uni only costs as much as your food and shelter, and I see their points about experience and pay, but I keep trying to remind them that I can get internships in Uni for the experience, and get paid more after uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousj2000)
    I've got the advantage of being in Scotland, and uni only costs as much as your food and shelter, and I see their points about experience and pay, but I keep trying to remind them that I can get internships in Uni for the experience, and get paid more after uni
    If I lived in Scotland I definitely would not throw away the opportunity to go to uni. Some courses have internal placements for experience like you have said. If you want to do a degree then go ahead. It is you who is doing this course for the next 3, 4 years not your family.

ReputationRep:

I have applied for uni, for Electrical and Electronic engineering, and have 3 conditionals, with easy conditions. My whole family seems to want me to take an apprenticeship instead. I've applied for a couple of apprenticeships to keep them happy, but I'm trying to tell them that I'd rather have the student life, and learn more, rather than getting an HNC after 3 years. Help me please!!
    Life is too short to do what someone else wants for you. You have to do what makes you happy and your family will have to accept that. It's your life, and your choices. It would be good if they could go with what makes you happy - but you must do what you think is best for you.

ReputationRep:
    According to our conservative overlords your family is right and apprenticeships are the right path for you.

/Sarcasm

INB4 that lunatic poster comes in here shouting about plumbers earning 100k. LOL

ReputationRep:
    I’m thinking of doing the exact same course! However I’m really having a debate whether to go to university or do an apprenticeship. Also, you know what’s best for you and no one else
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Tell them that you have weighed up the pros and cons of both options and feel that the degree is better suited to you. Ultimately, it's your decision, not theirs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can do both, you know

Someone at Exeter had done an engineering apprenticeship, then went onto the engineering course there - they offered him second year entry in fact, although he opted to do the first year as he was worried he would find the maths content for a second year start too much of a leap.

It's not a bad option to earn some money before going to uni - you'll still be fully funded by SFE loans, but it could give you a bit of a buffer while you're studying.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.