Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am applying for CPR as I didn't complete a course in 2011 due to mental health reasons.
    I am writing my personal statement and I'm just wondering if I have gone into enough detail/it is sufficient. Any feedback very appreciated.

I am writing to request reinstatement of funding for 2 years of study (September 2011- May 2013) that I did not complete due to Compelling Personal reasons.
    I was unable to study to the best of my abilities in the academic years 2011-2013 due to depression. I did the first year twice and failed both times, this was because of depression and its symptoms. I had no drive to get my head down and work, even though the subject matter was something I enjoyed and possessed a natural talent with. I had trouble engaging with fellow students and teachers, which affected group projects and critiques with my tutor. I missed a lot of lectures and time in university and so was very behind for the whole time, the ensuing anxiety made things a lot worse and affected my attendance even more. Writing essays was a painful experience as I had absolutely no drive to concentrate and brain fog prevented me from doing so. I also experienced sleeping problems due to depression and missed even more time because of this. Due to these reasons, I failed my first year, which I then retook and failed again. In order to preserve a future chance of higher education I then withdrew from the university.

Since 2013 I have been treated for depression and as a result of this I don’t anticipate my current health problems to still be on-going / to negatively impact on my future studies if this application is successful. Enclosed is a Doctors note confirming I was being treated for depression in 2011-2013.
    also the doctors note doesn't go into detail either its just a sentence confirming the dates...is that bad?

thanks in advance x
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by freyja13)
    Hello! I am applying for CPR as I didn't complete a course in 2011 due to mental health reasons.
    I am writing my personal statement and I'm just wondering if I have gone into enough detail/it is sufficient. Any feedback very appreciated.

I am writing to request reinstatement of funding for 2 years of study (September 2011- May 2013) that I did not complete due to Compelling Personal reasons.
    I was unable to study to the best of my abilities in the academic years 2011-2013 due to depression. I did the first year twice and failed both times, this was because of depression and its symptoms. I had no drive to get my head down and work, even though the subject matter was something I enjoyed and possessed a natural talent with. I had trouble engaging with fellow students and teachers, which affected group projects and critiques with my tutor. I missed a lot of lectures and time in university and so was very behind for the whole time, the ensuing anxiety made things a lot worse and affected my attendance even more. Writing essays was a painful experience as I had absolutely no drive to concentrate and brain fog prevented me from doing so. I also experienced sleeping problems due to depression and missed even more time because of this. Due to these reasons, I failed my first year, which I then retook and failed again. In order to preserve a future chance of higher education I then withdrew from the university.

Since 2013 I have been treated for depression and as a result of this I don’t anticipate my current health problems to still be on-going / to negatively impact on my future studies if this application is successful. Enclosed is a Doctors note confirming I was being treated for depression in 2011-2013.
    also the doctors note doesn't go into detail either its just a sentence confirming the dates...is that bad?

thanks in advance x
    Hi Freyja,

We recommend that you send a letter to your Award Authority ( SFE ) detailing your CPR along with any evidence of their mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence;
    • Is signed and dated
    • Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies and
    • When this took place ( date specific if possible).

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include;
    • Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
    • Letter from HEP on headed paper
    • Letter from Social Services on headed paper
    • Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
    • Death Certificate and/or
    • A Birth Certificate

The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support the students claim should be sent to us for consideration. In some circumstances one piece of evidence may not be sufficient, therefore we would recommend that the student sends as much evidence in as possible.

Thanks

Louise

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.