Turn on thread page Beta

Debate: The media has made the '#MeToo' campaign into a gimmick watch

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been asked to argue the notion 'this house believes that the media has changed the '#MeToo' campaign into a gimmick, however, I'm really stuck for an argument for this. If anyone could help and add some points that would be great!

ReputationRep:
    #MeToo campaign is having an impact on the hiring practices of large multinational companies.

See the 'Pence rule'.

The “Pence rule” made headlines earlier this year when a Washington Post profile of Karen Pence cited a 2002 interview stating that Vice President Mike Pence makes it a point to never dine alone with a woman who is not his wife, or attend events where alcohol might be served without her there.
    Many men in business, are making a point of ensuring they are never in a position of being alone, even in a elevator, with a women. Good luck women, getting employed, promoted, a pay rise at performance review, invite to company events etc. Going forward in today's moral panic environment, you're going to need it.

Of course, anyone harassing anyone should be prosecuted, that ought to go without saying. But what happened to the ideal of Due Process? Men of means, and intelligence, wont risk the possibility of a career, and life destroying, false allegation claim. Because as all know, even the mere, unsubstantiated claim of impropriety, will result in permanent damage and sabotage to his character and reputation. Even if demonstrably proven false. [no smoke without fire etc.]

(Original post by 303Pharma)
    Many men in business, are making a point of ensuring they are never in a position of being alone, even in a elevator, with a women. Good luck women, getting employed, promoted, a pay rise at performance review, invite to company events etc. Going forward in today's moral panic environment, you're going to need it.
    Well duh, just bring in quotas to cancel out this effect then.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I find it a bit annoying that everyone has immediately taken the word of those accusing weinstein/ others as fact.

Also it seems that people who do not wholly support the cause are just mindlessly jumping on the bandwagon and virtue signalling to others.

It's a little bit alarming really given the absence of evidence

I do wonder what if it turns out that weinstein is innocent? will his reputation ever be restored? will the media cover this revelation with such fervour?

I may support the #MeToo campaign if and only if sufficient evidence comes to light proving beyond any reasonable doubt that the allegations against Weinstein were indeed founded in fact.

ReputationRep:
    Everything has a consequence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo0099)
    To be fair I find it a bit annoying that everyone has immediately taken the word of those accusing weinstein/ others as fact.

Also it seems that people who do not wholly support the cause are just mindlessly jumping on the bandwagon and virtue signalling to others.

It's a little bit alarming really given the absence of evidence

I do wonder what if it turns out that weinstein is innocent? will his reputation ever be restored? will the media cover this revelation with such fervour?

I may support the #MeToo campaign if and only if sufficient evidence comes to light proving beyond any reasonable doubt that the allegations against Weinstein were indeed founded in fact.
    I do not think that he is innocent - it a widespread practice when women get what they through the bed - but I am sure women were more than happy to being "used" by him in order to get what they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngeryPenguin)
    Well duh, just bring in quotas to cancel out this effect then.
    I hope you're just a Poe. If not, well duh!

Man A applies for a job. Woman B applies for the same job, but is less academically qualified, less years experience in the field, fewer and less impressive resume and references, spent less time networking and building up useful contacts that would help the company that is recruiting for the position. Want's to work less hours during the working week, is less willing to work overtime including weekends, wants more holidays, takes more sick days, is statistically more likely to take a career break... etc.

HR say woman B has to get the job offer over the more suitable man A, for the same pay, because... quotas. Businesses will just move to countries without ridiculous gender quotas, on top of affirmative action, and recruit based on merit, not genitals or ethnic origin.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that we just love blaming the media on everything.

ReputationRep:
    The media has not turned it into a gimmick. It has always been a gimmick.

Ideologies and powers have throughout time used rape and sexual harassment of women to further their interests. Always without a single exception campaigns involving issues pertaining to mass sexual harassment and rape by a certain group in society are gimmicks aimed to further the interests of these ideologies and powers. Jews are raping women. The nazis used this technique to rile up germans against the jews in world war 2. germans are raping french women. The allies used this technique to rile up people against the germans. the far right use it to garner hate against immigrants today. Mass rape by immigrants in Sweden!! and feminism today also uses this same tactic to push its "women are victims" agenda which helps confer privileges on women and feminists in society allowing them into power and control.

Metoo is a gimmick. It has always been a gimmick.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.