Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, I know some Universities teach different modules, have better or worse equipment, teaching standard and all that

But when it comes to the actual course, what is the difference? At the end of the day, is a degree in Biomedical Science from Northumbria University any 'different' from a degree in Biomedical Science from Newcastle University or Sheffield University?

I know certain courses it really matters, such as Law or Economics etc...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Cherub123)
    Obviously, I know some Universities teach different modules, have better or worse equipment, teaching standard and all that

But when it comes to the actual course, what is the difference? At the end of the day, is a degree in Biomedical Science from Northumbria University any 'different' from a degree in Biomedical Science from Newcastle University or Sheffield University?

I know certain courses it really matters, such as Law or Economics etc...
    Apart from like you say the modules, it won't be different really.

ReputationRep:
    The modules taught and the style of teaching will be only distinctions in your course at Northumbria , Newcastle or Sheffield. Other uni experiences might differ though , the experience you'd have at Northumbria maybe markedly different to the one you may have at Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Apart from like you say the modules, it won't be different really.
    Is it harder (to get 1st grades etc...) at some Universities? For example, I'm currently doing quite well, getting over 75% in all of my modules and tests so far. If I was doing it at a higher ranked University, would I be doing worse or whatever?

ReputationRep:
    Is it harder (to get 1st grades etc...) at some Universities? For example, I'm currently doing quite well, getting over 75% in all of my modules and tests so far. If I was doing it at a higher ranked University, would I be doing worse or whatever?
    I doubt it works that way. It is possible though , the stress of studying at Oxbridge or LSE or UCL does get to you. At a top uni , your first year might be bang average but that's a point where your tenacity will show if you're willing to improve or not.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It could be harder in some cases, they might use different assessment methods or there could be more of them so it would be more difficult in that sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It could be harder in some cases, they might use different assessment methods or there could be more of them so it would be more difficult in that sense.
    But why is this the case? Just so that the University produces much more 'sturdy' and capable students?

And I guess a lot of employers recognise this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhinair3004)
    I doubt it works that way. It is possible though , the stress of studying at Oxbridge or LSE or UCL does get to you. At a top uni , your first year might be bang average but that's a point where your tenacity will show if you're willing to improve or not.
    Would it be worth trying to get into these top Unis to do a degree I'm already in 1st year and doing pretty well?

Or would it be better just to get a really good degree where I'm at now, and then go on to do a Master's at one of the top Unis? Since I know that they don't tend to care where you got your Bachelor's from

ReputationRep:
    Would it be worth trying to get into these top Unis to do a degree I'm already in 1st year and doing pretty well?

Or would it be better just to get a really good degree where I'm at now, and then go on to do a Master's at one of the top Unis? Since I know that they don't tend to care where you got your Bachelor's from
    You're already doing great where you are , stick with it. Work in such a way that you end up getting a First by the end of your degree. It'll improve your chances at getting into a top uni for a masters as compared to how your chances would be if you'd decide to switch right now.

ReputationRep:
    Don't undervalue module choice, I go to Hallam and frankly its decent. I have friends at much better ranking unis and it doesnt seem that different. But if I could go back and change my uni and work for a better one, would I? Yes. Not because Hallam is bad but purely because I don't like the modules, its a very small department that is good at what it does, industry links and decent employment rate I am simply not interested. I just wish I looked into the modules more when applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Don't undervalue module choice, I go to Hallam and frankly its decent. I have friends at much better ranking unis and it doesnt seem that different. But if I could go back and change my uni and work for a better one, would I? Yes. Not because Hallam is bad but purely because I don't like the modules, its a very small department that is good at what it does, industry links and decent employment rate I am simply not interested. I just wish I looked into the modules more when applying.
    I'm not undervaluing, I'm definitely in the same boat. Annoyed at myself for being so naive when choosing initially, didn't pay too much attention to module choices and definitely didn't search enough to make comparisons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhinair3004)
    You're already doing great where you are , stick with it. Work in such a way that you end up getting a First by the end of your degree. It'll improve your chances at getting into a top uni for a masters as compared to how your chances would be if you'd decide to switch right now.
    Are the chances of getting into a top uni for masters decent/low/high?
    - Permitted I do get a 1st at the end

Im weary that this is kinda a topic on its own so just searching for a simple answer :P

ReputationRep:
    Are the chances of getting into a top uni for masters decent/low/high?
    - Permitted I do get a 1st at the end

Im weary that this is kinda a topic on its own so just searching for a simple answer :P
    If you have a 1st , the chances are pretty good. But , your marks won't be the only criteria they see. Your all round development as a student will also be considered , if you've actually learned something from your degree course that you can use in the future

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.