Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 29 years old and work full time, however I would love to return to education and train to become a midwife.

I completed my A Levels in 2007 but didn't get very good grades (CDD) and didn't study any science or health related subjects, therefore I don't meet the entry requirements for a midwifery course based on my A Levels. Due to this, I think the best route is to complete an Access to HE course in Health. Would I still be able to do this even though I have A Levels?

Also, I would prefer to complete an online (distance learning) course rather than attend a college so I can continue to work full time - I have a mortgage, bills and a child so would need the money for as long as possible! Has anyone had any experience in doing this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ktv88)
    Hi,

I'm 29 years old and work full time, however I would love to return to education and train to become a midwife.

I completed my A Levels in 2007 but didn't get very good grades (CDD) and didn't study any science or health related subjects, therefore I don't meet the entry requirements for a midwifery course based on my A Levels. Due to this, I think the best route is to complete an Access to HE course in Health. Would I still be able to do this even though I have A Levels?

Also, I would prefer to complete an online (distance learning) course rather than attend a college so I can continue to work full time - I have a mortgage, bills and a child so would need the money for as long as possible! Has anyone had any experience in doing this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    An Access course is definitely the best way for you to get into Midwifery. It will also bring you up to the required level with your academic writing too. There are other options such as BTECs which are also open to you.

However, working full time and doing an access course will be very hard. You are expected to do around 30 hours per week of study, but more will be required prior to assignments and exams. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it would be incredibly difficult. You may need to do it part time. You don't just need to pass the course, you need to have a certain number of credits at distinction and merit, and it is by no means easy. Plenty of people doing the access course without working struggle to get the required grades. You should also bear in mind that it has been a while since you finished your A Levels so there will definitely be an adjustment period where you may come across difficulties while you are readjusting to education. I would encourage you to seriously consider how much time you can dedicate to this, as studying at home is challenging even for people who are very used to it, especially when there are children in the house.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I started an Access course in September 2017 at a local college, I am 40 years old and had given up work in order to study and hopefully go to University. I took A Levels but it was forever ago so the Access course is the best route.My course is 2 1\2 days per week and with assignments etc I find on the other days I balance housework and homework! The others on my course work part time, no one is able to work full time as attendance is mandatory for us.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do this via an online course as I need the support of others and attending a college gives me a purpose to keep working. Its hard work but rewarding as I have 4 University offers for September,

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.