Turn on thread page Beta

Personal statement - 1st choice lecturer wrote a book watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am beginning to write my personal statement for university next year and have just realised that one of the books I have read (which has been the most helpful) is by one of the lecturers for a course that I have applied for. Should I still put it on my personal statement or will they think that I'm kissing up? It's my first choice of university so I don't want to mess it up...

ReputationRep:
    what book is it and what course are you applying for?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memeintern)
    what book is it and what course are you applying for?
    I want to apply for BA Korean and my first choice of University is SOAS. The book is called Elementary Korean and it's written by the professor of Korean.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

A constant groan lecturers have is that people don't actually turn up or listen to lectures, if they see that you genuinely have an interest in what they teach then it will really strengthen your application.

ReputationRep:
    definitely write in your personal statement it will show your passion for the subject. they will be impressed.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it will be seen as sucking up... And yes, you should definitely put it in. :P

ReputationRep:
    You should put it in but be careful that you don't sound like you only read it to put in your personal statement or that it changed your life as that sounds so fake. It is also advised to avoid mentioning books which are really typical of the subject and everybody will mention. If it's a bit out there or unique that's better

ReputationRep:
    Yes, within your first paragraph.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.