Turn on thread page Beta

How to breath during big lifts? watch

ReputationRep:
    So for the Squat I used to hold breath (tried to do valsva maneuver) then breath out on the way up.

However, someone told me to hold my breath in for the whole of 1 rep or even multiple reps, and this has helped my squat.
    Although, I have heard negative advice about this apparently it can cause hernia.

Same with bench is it better to hold your breath in for the whole thing? Or inhale going down exhale pushing up

ReputationRep:
    Althgouh I am no expert in this subject I always believe it's better to inhale on the easier part of the lift and exhale on the more exhilerating part. For squats I always exhale on the way up.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hold your breath through the whole rep. Breath if you have to at the end of the rep. I tend to hold for the first 3 or so reps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    So for the Squat I used to hold breath (tried to do valsva maneuver) then breath out on the way up.

However, someone told me to hold my breath in for the whole of 1 rep or even multiple reps, and this has helped my squat.
    Although, I have heard negative advice about this apparently it can cause hernia.

Same with bench is it better to hold your breath in for the whole thing? Or inhale going down exhale pushing up

I would suggest you do the exercise in correct form and make sure you do not cause harm to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilmihassan)
    I would suggest you do the exercise in correct form and make sure you do not cause harm to yourself.
    Ive been squatting nearly 3 years now and I feel only recently have I got good form on the big lifts

ReputationRep:
    Hold your breath. More specifically, take a big breath at the top, squeeze it inside you using your abs during the rep, and exhale at the top.

The reason you do this is because it increases the internal pressure in and around your core, which makes your trunk and indeed your whole body much more stable. Under extreme circumstances and very heavy loads high intra-abdominal pressure has caused hernias, but having a stable core means a much stronger and therefore safer position for your back. If I were you, I'd worry much more about my spine than a very low risk of a hernia. Fundamentally lifting heavy weights comes with risks, but the valsava maneuver definitely makes it safer in the round.

Also, this is the reason people wear belts. By squeezing your abs against the belt you can increase your pressure inside your abdomen. Without doing that the belt is useless.

ReputationRep:
    Breathe at the bottom for the deadlift and the clean.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.