Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Going to see a GP - Depression and Aspergers Syndrome watch

Announcements

Hello,

I’m 26 and I suffer from Aspergers Syndrome. It’s not until recently that I discovered that my mental health is declining and has likely done so for the previous three years as I had just ignored it or put it down to “normal feeling”. It wasn’t until I read up about depression online and went through the symptoms that I realised a lot of what I was reading was how I’d felt for a long time and struggled through a lot of bad things happening in my personal life. I’ve never wanted to harm myself or commit suicide but I just feel sad, numb and anxiety ridden all the time twin that with fatigue, constant over thinking and my head feeling like it’s a computer with eight YouTube tabs open and all with the sound going and you get the picture.

I was hoping to hear from people who have gone to a GP and experienced the mental health talk while autistic and what sort of experiences they have and what treatment they got offered. I’m very nervous right now but I have a friend who’s going to come with me and I want to do this for myself.

So I'm in a very similar position, I've got ASD and depression. I've been to the GP a few times about this now over the past few months. From what I can tell there are basically three options - try to deal with it yourself (and by yourself I mean without professional help but with the support of friends etc.), get some kind of talking therapy, or medication. How easy it is to get talking therapy (e.g. counselling) depends on what your situation is - I'm at university so it's been easier, if you have to go via the NHS then that may be more challenging. Other related suggestions might include things like mindfulness. To cut a long story short, these things don't really seem to be cutting it for me so whilst I've been very resistant to the idea, I have just started with antidepressants because it's just too much to cope with. It's too soon to know if they work or not.

Please don't be nervous though, because your GP is just there to help. I've never had anything pushed on me and I've always felt taken seriously. There is no single fix to this issue and it very much depends on your personal circumstances (which will differ from mine). Hope that helps.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So I'm in a very similar position, I've got ASD and depression. I've been to the GP a few times about this now over the past few months. From what I can tell there are basically three options - try to deal with it yourself (and by yourself I mean without professional help but with the support of friends etc.), get some kind of talking therapy, or medication. How easy it is to get talking therapy (e.g. counselling) depends on what your situation is - I'm at university so it's been easier, if you have to go via the NHS then that may be more challenging. Other related suggestions might include things like mindfulness. To cut a long story short, these things don't really seem to be cutting it for me so whilst I've been very resistant to the idea, I have just started with antidepressants because it's just too much to cope with. It's too soon to know if they work or not.

Please don't be nervous though, because your GP is just there to help. I've never had anything pushed on me and I've always felt taken seriously. There is no single fix to this issue and it very much depends on your personal circumstances (which will differ from mine). Hope that helps.
    Thank you for your reply, it’s interesting to read your story.

Were you offered those 3 options on your first visit or did it take longer?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hello,

I’m 26 and I suffer from Aspergers Syndrome. It’s not until recently that I discovered that my mental health is declining and has likely done so for the previous three years as I had just ignored it or put it down to “normal feeling”. It wasn’t until I read up about depression online and went through the symptoms that I realised a lot of what I was reading was how I’d felt for a long time and struggled through a lot of bad things happening in my personal life. I’ve never wanted to harm myself or commit suicide but I just feel sad, numb and anxiety ridden all the time twin that with fatigue, constant over thinking and my head feeling like it’s a computer with eight YouTube tabs open and all with the sound going and you get the picture.

I was hoping to hear from people who have gone to a GP and experienced the mental health talk while autistic and what sort of experiences they have and what treatment they got offered. I’m very nervous right now but I have a friend who’s going to come with me and I want to do this for myself.
    Hi there. I don't have Aspergers, but I do have a couple of bits of advice that may help you.
    I'm assuming you may have some difficulty with communication which could make getting your point across in a drs appt a bit more challenging. Being depressed or otherwise not great mentally can also lead to a very emotional appointment and that tends to mean forgetting things you want to discuss or having a bit of a hard time getting your words out.
    So, I would suggest that you try to book a double appointment (gives you more time to talk) and that you write down the things you want to talk about including how you are feeling and anything you want to ask.
    I would also suggest that at the end of the appointment you ask them to write up a quick summary for you so you remember what they've suggested. I always forgot what was discussed in my appointments.
    I would usually also suggest taking a look online so you understand things like depression a bit more, but it sounds like you've already done that.
    Last thing- if you feel like your appointment didn't go too well for whatever reason don't let that discourage you. Sometimes appointments don't go too well. You may feel like they didn't understand you well or take you seriously, you may have not been able to talk about something you wanted to or forgotten something that was suggested, a pigeon may have flown in and you had to cancel the appointment. Whatever happened, you can always go back and have another talk. You can even ask to see a different doctor if you want.

My first appointment didn't go too well. I think I got a "teenage issues" kinda response and was too flustered to push more that I was really on the edge. I got back in touch, explained things better and said that I felt like I needed something more and things improved from there. I'm really glad I did that.

I hope that helps and best wishes.
    Oh and if you ever do feel like you need to vent you can contact a service like childline or samaritans. They're there to talk to you and support you with whatever is bothering you.

Thank you for your reply, it’s interesting to read your story.

Were you offered those 3 options on your first visit or did it take longer?
    He made it clear what all of the options were on the first meeting, yes. It's not until this third or fourth appointment though that I decided that I wanted to try antidepressants though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.