Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hey. So I’m nearly 18 and in my last year of college. Recently I got diagnosed with alopecia areata which is an autoimmune disease where white blood cells mistake hair folecules as alien, and attack them; causing patchy hair loss. I’m an outgoing guy and am reasonably good looking, so I’ve been told but this has been a hell of a confidence knock, for sure. I’ve covered the patches so no one knows about it atm but plan to shave my head bald and get a wig for when I start uni. So my question to you Girls is, would the fact that I have alopecia put you off if you are attracted to me (With a wig) and didn’t know. Thank yaaa for any response xox
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Well, I'm a guy but the only person in my social group that is in a relationship has alopecia, since he was very young. I do think its a good idea to get a nice wig or two, as they can be life-like, and any person worth your time wouldn't judge you simply because of a condition out of your control. I'm planning to shave my head simply for aesthetic reasons, and grow out/style my beard, I wouldn't do it if I knew no-one would find it appealing.

As a girl, I'd say any girl who judges you on appearance and not personality is not someone you should want to be with anyway. Personally I'd have to know a person pretty well before I'd date them, and get along with them/share interests, etc, but that's the same as with any guy, no matter how they look. Besides, every male at some point suffers hair loss, even if most have it at a later age, so really if a girl can't date someone with a bald patch, she'll have issues later in life. Hope this helps
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.