The Student Room Group

How important are GCSEs in going to University?

I would like study veterinary medicine at university(not sure which one yet) and I know I need the top grades at A-Level. However, it doesn't mention much on GCSEs grades. I am aiming for grades 7-9 across my GCSEs, if I can get them is another question. But if I don't achieve grade 9s across all my GCSEs, are my chances of doing veterinary medicine practically impossible?
Depends on the university but as long as they're good (6+) you should be alright for most of them
Original post by claudi.s123
I would like study veterinary medicine at university(not sure which one yet) and I know I need the top grades at A-Level. However, it doesn't mention much on GCSEs grades. I am aiming for grades 7-9 across my GCSEs, if I can get them is another question. But if I don't achieve grade 9s across all my GCSEs, are my chances of doing veterinary medicine practically impossible?

They aren't as important as people would have you believe. I'd aim for B's minimum in core + science but if you have hopes of applying to a top uni then they are important and you'll need as string of A's and A*'s
Unfortunately, GCSE grades are gonna be more important than ever before, thanks to the government's A Level reforms. Whereas before, one would receive AS grades, and then apply to universities with these (alongside predicted grades for the end of A2), now such AS levels no longer exist, and all A Levels are linear (unless you live in Wales or N. Ireland, in which case, you are lucky!! Because y'all still have separate AS and A2).

So now you're going to be applying to universities with your GCSE grades as the only "formal" qualification (as predicted grades are just a guess really). And for a degree course like veterinary science, it is going to be very very competitive! You've gotta remember that you'll be applying for a places against people who have achieved all grade 9s at GCSE plus a slew of extra curricular achievements.

Now that's not meant to scare you, just a heads up, that these GCSEs do matter, and you really need to be aiming for a grade 7 in all your subjects - as the absolute minimum. Ideally all grade 8+
Original post by MadSpud
Depends on the university but as long as they're good (6+) you should be alright for most of them

Ok, hopefully I can do that! Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Anagogic
They aren't as important as people would have you believe. I'd aim for B's minimum in core + science but if you have hopes of applying to a top uni then they are important and you'll need as string of A's and A*'s

Ok, thank you!! :smile:
Original post by thatthat
Unfortunately, GCSE grades are gonna be more important than ever before, thanks to the government's A Level reforms. Whereas before, one would receive AS grades, and then apply to universities with these (alongside predicted grades for the end of A2), now such AS levels no longer exist, and all A Levels are linear (unless you live in Wales or N. Ireland, in which case, you are lucky!! Because y'all still have separate AS and A2).

So now you're going to be applying to universities with your GCSE grades as the only "formal" qualification (as predicted grades are just a guess really). And for a degree course like veterinary science, it is going to be very very competitive! You've gotta remember that you'll be applying for a places against people who have achieved all grade 9s at GCSE plus a slew of extra curricular achievements.

Now that's not meant to scare you, just a heads up, that these GCSEs do matter, and you really need to be aiming for a grade 7 in all your subjects - as the absolute minimum. Ideally all grade 8+

I'm from England so I'm not lucky haha. I felt it would be competitive but I am always hearing mixed responses. Thank you for your reply, I will do my best to aim for the top grades!:smile:
Original post by claudi.s123
I'm from England so I'm not lucky haha. I felt it would be competitive but I am always hearing mixed responses. Thank you for your reply, I will do my best to aim for the top grades!:smile:

thatthat is correct - GCSE results are now more important because of linear A levels.

Good luck with your studies and make sure you get the required work experience.
Original post by Muttley79
thatthat is correct - GCSE results are now more important because of linear A levels.

Good luck with your studies and make sure you get the required work experience.

Thank you again! I have done some work experience but I'll need to do some more.

Quick Reply

Latest