Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have lived with my girlfriend for more than a year now and have always put single on my student finance applications, because of how the categories are described on student finance england. For example, the only two reasonable options are single and living with your partner as though you are married. The second option seems very vague and I am unsure as to what they mean. Also they describe single as "never been married or in a civil partnership" which is true for me; so single seems like the best option for me. Am I right or wrong? And if I am wrong will it really matter since they are going off my parent's income anyway?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Axisboldaspat)
    I have lived with my girlfriend for more than a year now and have always put single on my student finance applications, because of how the categories are described on student finance england. For example, the only two reasonable options are single and living with your partner as though you are married. The second option seems very vague and I am unsure as to what they mean. Also they describe single as "never been married or in a civil partnership" which is true for me; so single seems like the best option for me. Am I right or wrong? And if I am wrong will it really matter since they are going off my parent's income anyway?
    If you're a dependent student then single is fine to put, if you were an independent student it would be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    If you're a dependent student then single is fine to put, if you were an independent student it would be different.
    Thanks for the quick reply! What is the distinction between dependent and independent?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks for the quick reply! What is the distinction between dependent and independent?
    Independent is if you're over 25 or worked for three years before university or have no parents or you're married and some other situations. Dependent is anything else.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Axisboldaspat,

If you are over 25 years old at the start of the academic year and living with your girlfriend, then you would indicate living with partner and provide your partners financial information.

If you are under 25 years old at the start of the academic year and not married, we do not need to know that you are living with your girlfriend, you would be assessed as living elsewhere but we still use your parents financial information, as considered dependent on them.

Thanks Rona

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.