Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I don't know what to choose! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, it's time to choose subjects. My options so far are triple science and history. Academically I am a higher achiever, but I'm not sure this is what I want to do. I have no idea of what job I want to have in the future, but geography and chemistry (chosen for sure) really interest me, but my family doesn't necessarily want me to do geography since our teacher is not the greatest and overall grades from the gcse exams were never particularly good with her.. And, physics which is on the same row as geography does not really excite me, I don't really like the subject. Also, since they are on the same row I really don't know what to do - do I stick with the safer option, or do I choose what I really want to do?

ReputationRep:
    choose what you really want to do.

even if geography isn't best taught in your school, you can access a vast number of materials that will help with your understanding. at gcse level, study and revision materials are especially accessible. textbooks (there may be some online), videos, animations and other tools could help you, and so if you know at least a little bit from your teaching in school, you'll be fine for gcse.

but of course, it's up to you. i would advise looking up the gcse specifications for the subjects that you're trying to choose between, and find the exam boards that your school uses for those subjects. that way, you'll know exactly what's required of you. it's also important to consider any practical or extended work that the courses include, e.g. fieldwork for geography, and see how you would feel about doing those.

best of luck choosing and don't hesitate to ask more questions if you're stuck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raphy)
    Basically, it's time to choose subjects. My options so far are triple science and history. Academically I am a higher achiever, but I'm not sure this is what I want to do. I have no idea of what job I want to have in the future, but geography and chemistry (chosen for sure) really interest me, but my family doesn't necessarily want me to do geography since our teacher is not the greatest and overall grades from the gcse exams were never particularly good with her.. And, physics which is on the same row as geography does not really excite me, I don't really like the subject. Also, since they are on the same row I really don't know what to do - do I stick with the safer option, or do I choose what I really want to do?
    Choose what you really want to do when you move onto a levels it's up to you to learn everything even if your teacher is terrible. So in a way if you have mastered what revision techniques work for you now your a levels will be much more easier. GCSE's are important however it's also equally important to practise many revision methods during this time it will only benefit you later. Going more to your situation choose what you want to do I would definately reccomend triple science and history ( i did them) and they open many doors for a level courses. GCSE choices aren't as important as a-levels so just pick what you want to do and this should allow you to pick whatever subjects you like at a level. Your sciences are covered with triple science and history is just a good all rounder however if you prefer geography pick that. However I prefer history so i'd recommend that haha but it's really what you want. These choices right now aren't that important (i dont mean to belittle your issue) but you will be fine whatever you choose but choose what you enjoy

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, what course are you going into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphrosynay)
    choose what you really want to do.

even if geography isn't best taught in your school, you can access a vast number of materials that will help with your understanding. at gcse level, study and revision materials are especially accessible. textbooks (there may be some online), videos, animations and other tools could help you, and so if you know at least a little bit from your teaching in school, you'll be fine for gcse.

but of course, it's up to you. i would advise looking up the gcse specifications for the subjects that you're trying to choose between, and find the exam boards that your school uses for those subjects. that way, you'll know exactly what's required of you. it's also important to consider any practical or extended work that the courses include, e.g. fieldwork for geography, and see how you would feel about doing those.

best of luck choosing and don't hesitate to ask more questions if you're stuck
    Thanks so much, I'll look more into it

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.