Turn on thread page Beta

B1345 - Pedestrianised Urban Zones Bill watch

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1345 - Pedestrianised Urban Zones Bill, TSR National Conservative Party

Pedestrianised Urban Zones Bill

A BILL TO commit the government to help local government create Pedestrianised Urban Zones and districts throughout our cities and towns.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the consent of the Lords Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Section 1: Definitions

(1) A Pedestrianised Urban Zone is defined as a stretch of increasingly commercial roads and/or Town Centres which are used extensively by pedestrians.
    (2) A Heavy Goods Vehicle is defined as being vehicles weighing over 3.5 tons, though emergency vehicles and deliveries to the stores are not included in this ban.
    (3) Pedestrianised Urban Zone may be abbreviated as PUZ.
    (4) Success is defined as meeting three fifths of the success criteria.
    (5) Failure is defined as failing to meet at least three fifths of the success criteria.
    (6) A deprived borough council is defined as a Borough with less than 1% (or negative) economic growth/annual and/or a borough with an unemployment rate above 7.5%

Section 2: Function

(1) In Pedestrianised Urban Zones, heavy goods vehicles will be prohibited.
    (2) Before the implementation of this act nationwide, a pilot scheme will be carried out in Manchester North; this pilot scheme will have a maximum exceedable budget of £2.25mn
    (3) The pilot scheme will take a stretch of road in an area with high density of businesses and begin conversion into a Pedestrianised Urban Zone.
    (4) Should the Pedestrianised Urban Zone Pilot Scheme prove to be effective, Borough Councils may nationally initiate the Scheme as provided in their Boroughs.
    (5) If the borough council chooses to initiate the scheme than they will be expected to provide half of the money needed to implement it with central government providing the rest.
    (6) A deprived borough council may request funding from Her Majesty’s Government to provide up to 60% of the funding for the implementation of the scheme.
    (7) The Criteria for success are:
    • A drop in pollution measured as a reduction in NOx of 500 per parts per million over 6 months
    • 5%+ Growth in sales within businesses affected by the scheme
    • A decrease (of any degree) in congestion
    • An increase (of any degree) in consumer confidence
    • An increased rate of success (of any degree) for businesses

(8) Roads designated as PUZ will have a 5 mile per hour speed limit and pedestrians will be allowed to walk on the roads without facing any repercussion.
    (9) The government is limited to a £200mn a year maximum to be spent on this, unless parliament agrees to provide additional funding to the scheme.
    (10) The Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Trade is tasked with deciding which applications from local Borough’s to Her Majesty’s Government will receive the money. They are to be non partisan in their evaluation.
    (11) A PUZ may be done without government approval if the Borough undertaking it does not request money from the central government to begin the scheme.

Section 3: Extent, commencement and short title

(1) The act commences immediately after its passage in Parliament.
    (2) If the scheme is successful according to the due requirements, Boroughs will be given access to request 50% Government funding and begin the scheme in their Borough.
    (3) The act should be referred to as the Pedestrianised Urban Zones Act.

Section 4: Annulment

(1) Should the results from the pilot scheme show that the benefits of this act are substantially lower than expected, the whole act may be cancelled at any time by the Secretary of Business, Industry and Trade.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Have the notes gone on strike again?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Aye, this can increase consumption expenditure and improve the environment in urban areas, which are polluted because there are too many cars on the road. This policy would also allow people more walking space instead of being stuck in a human traffic jam due to narrow sidewalks. Shopping will be a much more pleasant experience if pedestrians are given the whole streets to walk on.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Aye, this can increase consumption expenditure and improve the environment in urban areas, which are polluted because there are too many cars on the road. This policy would also allow people more walking space instead of being stuck in a human traffic jam due to narrow sidewalks. Shopping will be a much more pleasant experience if pedestrians are given the whole streets to walk on.
    I don't see how removing vehicles from city centres will make going on Amazon more pleasant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I don't see how removing vehicles from city centres will make going on Amazon more pleasant
    Not all shopping is done online. Such a policy will be beneficial to shops on streets. There will be shopping streets where people can conveniently window-shop and buy what they need.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Surely if you are creating a pedestrianised zone you ban cars too?

ReputationRep:
    I’m going to abstain on this, I have no strong feelings either way.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Surely if you are creating a pedestrianised zone you ban cars too?
    I think that the idea is a shared space with the 5mph speed limit effectively making cars not want to go on said roads.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    I think that the idea is a shared space with the 5mph speed limit effectively making cars not want to go on said roads.
    Not as a through route, probably, though perhaps to park or something. A pedestrianised zone should be just that in my opinion, a road for pedestrians only.

ReputationRep:
    Nay- utterly bonkers. And please not Manchester North first!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Good idea, aye from me. I really like the pedestrianised zone in our town!

ReputationRep:
    Nay. This really is something that depends a lot on the locale. What is beneficial in Cambridge won't necessarily be in Milton Keynes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not really sure about this bill, and I find the inconsistent capitalisation of words and the misplaced apostrophe in s2(10) frankly irksome. I unabashedly embrace the label of 'Grammar Nazi'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Abstain, I don't see how this changes anything unless you ban all vehicles, imo it seems like a complete waste of money.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Bother writing some notes and I might bother responding.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking Nay. This will just force cars to go into other areas, increasing traffic.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Now that I’ve actually read it... nay, I don’t think this is doing anyone good.
    So was it Unown Uzer or Mr T 999 who thought this was a good idea... and committed the grammar mistakes Catus mentioned?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I've had a think and I can't see any reason why this bill is necessary whatsoever. We have pedestrianised zones now anyway and we will continue to have them (in the format which the local council wants) without the need for further legislation to be passed.

ReputationRep:
    A bill having no impact because the HGVs in the city centres are making deliveries to shops; these would be exempt under this bill. HGVs do not pass through cities because the traffic, longer journey times, and stop-start driving style increases fuel use and time spent making journeys. To avoid the cities HGVs use ring roads around a city to prevent traffic, for example, the M25 circling London. The proportion of HGVs taken off the roads by this bill will be minimal making the bill a waste, if pedestrianised areas in cities are to be expanded the bill should extend to all cars to make cities big areas where visitors can walk freely in a safe environment. Pedestrianised cities works well in other European cities and in cities in Britain where it has taken place.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Not all shopping is done online. Such a policy will be beneficial to shops on streets. There will be shopping streets where people can conveniently window-shop and buy what they need.
    And such offline shopping is increasingly happening in shopping centres as high-streets die out

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.