MEI S1 Statistics: why use rmsd to find sd? Watch

begbie68
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Definition of Variance of a given list of data is : Sum[ x - x(bar) ]^2 /n

And standard deviation (small case sigma) for a set of data is sqrt(Variance)

So .... why does MEI insist on using s (not sigma) = sqrt (sxx/(n-1)) ?????

Anyone?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Youcan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's to unbias the estimator :P
To figure the sd of a population when you have the respective data for the entire population is to just apply the "normal formula" (square-rooting the average of the deviations from the mean squared)
Yet when trying to figure (more precisely, estimate) the sd of the population from a mere sample you can't just apply this "normal formula" directly to said sample because it will be biased. Just think about the average: it'll be "closer" to the sample data and yield a slightly smaller variance than if you had the actual average for from the population.

How do you account for this bias? Simply put: subtracting 1 from n in the denominator in the formula will fix this pretty neatly.
begbie68
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Youcan)
It's to unbias the estimator :P
To figure the sd of a population when you have the respective data for the entire population is to just apply the "normal formula" (square-rooting the average of the deviations from the mean squared)
Yet when trying to figure (more precisely, estimate) the sd of the population from a mere sample you can't just apply this "normal formula" directly to said sample because it will be biased. Just think about the average: it'll be "closer" to the sample data and yield a slightly smaller variance than if you had the actual average for from the population.

How do you account for this bias? Simply put: subtracting 1 from n in the denominator in the formula will fix this pretty neatly.
Thanks, youcan
I get this, and know already about stats/unbiased estimators for whole populations versus samples from a population. Mostly, these types of questions (in an exam) would concern/use CLT, also.

My question was : for a GIVEN set of data, in order to work out the standard deviation FOR THAT SET OF data, when the question asks for standard deviation, FOR THAT SET of data, why use rmsd? Surely using rmsd is WRONG in this case?! Your first sentence seems to agree with me?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads