Turn on thread page Beta

Considering Leaving Uni due to making £6k+ a month need advice? watch

To start I am now in my second year of Uni and only just turned 20. The course is very laid back however the time is coming when I have to hand in so much course work and I have not had any time at all to work on them due to me becoming a full time YouTuber. Everyday I upload videos and my channel has gone from being so small to massive receiving business inquires everyday.

Many of you may know that YouTube can be a job but is not 100% likely to last a lifetime. I love my course and the people but for the last 4 months I have not really been 100% focused and feel it is sometimes getting in the way of my Videos. With my second year almost coming to a end I don't know if I should continue or just quit Uni now and pursue my YouTube carrier.

The downside to leaving Uni would be, losing out on many friends and never get a degree. I do live off campus and live with my parents so being stuck in everyday making videos isn't what I want to do but the money is quite hard to just quit on. I have been earning 6k+ a month which for someone who has just turned 20 is crazy and making me feel very weird. I also play in a uni band and would probably have to quit that.

I just need advice on what to do...

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Link to your youtube channel?

ReputationRep:
    What do you study?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd ditch uni and focus on the Youtube business. You can always go back to uni later.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be possible to defer your final year? If you're enjoying being a Youtuber (and 6K+ is a significant sum), then you shouldn't have to choose between one or the other, not to mention you should still be able to see your friends (though perhaps not as often as you're currently used to).

That way even if you miss uni or wish to complete your degree, you can continue it after a year or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    To start I am now in my second year of Uni and only just turned 20. The course is very laid back however the time is coming when I have to hand in so much course work and I have not had any time at all to work on them due to me becoming a full time YouTuber. Everyday I upload videos and my channel has gone from being so small to massive receiving business inquires everyday.

Many of you may know that YouTube can be a job but is not 100% likely to last a lifetime. I love my course and the people but for the last 4 months I have not really been 100% focused and feel it is sometimes getting in the way of my Videos. With my second year almost coming to a end I don't know if I should continue or just quit Uni now and pursue my YouTube carrier.

The downside to leaving Uni would be, losing out on many friends and never get a degree. I do live off campus and live with my parents so being stuck in everyday making videos isn't what I want to do but the money is quite hard to just quit on. I have been earning 6k+ a month which for someone who has just turned 20 is crazy and making me feel very weird. I also play in a uni band and would probably have to quit that.

Thanks.
    You can't just mention that you have a substantial YouTube channel and not tell us what it's called or give us a link :daydreaming:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

You don't have much of university left though. You're completed over half of it. I hate to say this, but Youtube isn't a guaranteed career forever. And what if you need something to fall back on? Your exams for second year are approaching (I'm assuming), so can't you put your head down and study and then focus on your Youtube channel during the summer holiday period? You could also pre-record some videos (if university life takes over and you can't upload a video that week) and upload them during your final year so you can still prioritise your studies.

You need to compromise - don't ditch either of them.

My advice would be to quit your band, and reduce the frequency of your uploads slightly (but not the quality) - whilst continuing with your degree. Perhaps look into renting an apartment near your uni to reduce the amount of time travelling if it is significant.

It will be a hard year or two - you will be working an awful lot - but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks.
    Talk to your uni about your options. You may be able to do part time, defer and come back later or even get a qualification from what you've done so far. At the end of the day the choice has to be yours, but I wouldn't rely on YouTube being an income source your whole life. People may become less interested in your videos, YouTube may change policies that make you decide to quit. Various things could happen so just have a bit of a back up plan for a more "normal" option of that does happen.
    For now though I really wouldn't blame you if you want to take some time out or go past time and focus more on what's currently earning you money so you can save it up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Happens sometimes. I'm assuming the thread is not really that old considering the whole YouTube thing and I'm not even sure tsr existed that long ago

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.