Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking Of Quitting UNI because making over 6K a month! watch

ReputationRep:
    To start I am now in my second year of Uni and only just turned 20. The course is very laid back however the time is coming when I have to hand in so much course work and I have not had any time at all to work on them due to me becoming a full time YouTuber. Everyday I upload videos and my channel has gone from being so small to massive receiving business inquires everyday.

Many of you may know that YouTube can be a job but is not 100% likely to last a lifetime. I love my course and the people but for the last 4 months I have not really been 100% focused and feel it is sometimes getting in the way of my Videos. With my second year almost coming to a end I don't know if I should continue or just quit Uni now and pursue my YouTube.

The downside to leaving Uni would be, losing out on many friends and never get a degree. I do live off campus and live with my parents so being stuck in everyday making videos isn't what I want to do but the money is quite hard to just quit on. I have been earning 6k+ a month which for someone who has just turned 20 is crazy and making me feel very weird. I also play in a uni band and would probably have to quit that.

I just need advice on what to do...

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I thought there was an Adpocolypse lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    don't quit imo. youtube isn't forever, you only have a year or two left to get your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaloBlobs)
    To start I am now in my second year of Uni and only just turned 20. The course is very laid back however the time is coming when I have to hand in so much course work and I have not had any time at all to work on them due to me becoming a full time YouTuber. Everyday I upload videos and my channel has gone from being so small to massive receiving business inquires everyday.

Many of you may know that YouTube can be a job but is not 100% likely to last a lifetime. I love my course and the people but for the last 4 months I have not really been 100% focused and feel it is sometimes getting in the way of my Videos. With my second year almost coming to a end I don't know if I should continue or just quit Uni now and pursue my YouTube.

The downside to leaving Uni would be, losing out on many friends and never get a degree. I do live off campus and live with my parents so being stuck in everyday making videos isn't what I want to do but the money is quite hard to just quit on. I have been earning 6k+ a month which for someone who has just turned 20 is crazy and making me feel very weird. I also play in a uni band and would probably have to quit that.

I just need advice on what to do...

Thanks.
    I'd say finish uni! YouTube isn't permanent and you already started uni so it will be a waste to just stop. I'm not telling you to stop YouTube but for now do both get a degree and stay uploading. however you should change your upload schedule to maybe once or twice a week cuz daily is too much and will affect your study time and you also need time to rest. So for now finish off uni and upload weekly then after that you have the degree for the future and you can just go back to uploading daily.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with youtube is that they could change - and often do - their payment model overnight and you have no control. I have a friend who was making some nice money (not on your level mind) but then they decided his type of video was defunded and he got nothing anymore for all his videos.

What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    whats ur channel

ReputationRep:
    Have a back up plan. That’s all I can say to you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nothing you've said suggests you should leave your course to do that full time. You're saying you're making that much now - so why not just continue until you get your degree, then you can work on YT full time - then if it works out, great, and if not you have your degree to fall back on.

If you drop out to do full time YT work and your channel stagnates, you run out of content, you end up getting sick or something for a couple weeks and take a massive hit in income as a result (YT doesn't give paid sick leave, and people may well lose interest if your uploads aren't consistent). It's entirely possible a YT "career" could fall apart for reasons completely outside of your control - and YT doesn't give a ****. Unis however have specific policies in place to ameliorate the effect of such reasons and support them through it, to ultimately allow them to graduate.

Think of it this way: if you wouldn't go to Vegas and gamble all your savings AND your future earnings for the next year (at least) in an abstract bet, then you shouldn't drop out to do something quite so volatile. Because that's basically exactly what you're doing. At the end of the day it's up to you, but there is no logic or reason supporting such a decision...unless you hate your course it's affecting your mental health, and you realistically need to withdraw/interrupt your studies anyway - in which case having this as something to do before going back isn't a bad alternative to just looking for a generic job near you - I see little incentive to do what you're proposing.

ReputationRep:
    If it was first year maybe but as you've only got one year left you may as well put in that extra hard work - just in case.

ReputationRep:
    OK, i'm on the other side of the journey you are currently going through.

It's fun right now, by all means enjoy it.

I set up a website 10 years ago, and it ended up going 'accidentally' viral (heck, didn't even know what viral was at the time). Advertising deals ensued, and it took on a life of its own. I set up a Ltd company and pulled in £150k+ in personal income in my first year despite spending huge sums investing into my website and staff, travelling to USA frequently, etc.

Fast forward to today. My business is still going, but the income is definitely not up there anymore and it has become hard to eek out profit. My website still gets a reasonable flow of traffic and is active. So i signed up to Uni and am now doing my degree (ironically an IT based degree!) to try to broaden my horizons a bit and hopefully learn new things to give me ideas to repeat this again in the future, because the current thing i'm doing is all burnt out.

In my case, my business had a lot of different aspects it could explore as i had the freedom of the platform being self-created rather than relying on riding the coat-tails of another business and being at the mercy of their changing policies; i was in a very lucky position of having huge volumes of traffic all coming direct to me (within 4 months i had unique traffic numbering in the millions each month). Other people who worked in my niche also did very well at the same time as i did but out of hundreds of people i knew back then only a handful are still in business, and all of them are struggling.

I DO wish i had taken more advantage of the opportunity when it came. I suddenly found myself earning more money than i dreamt possible and i ended up getting very complacent. There was no incentive for me to work anymore when money was just landing in my lap without much effort - i'd literally just sign a £10k ad deal, put the ad up on my site and be done with it - 1 hour work. Advertisers approached me and were desperate. Easy.

With hindsight, i should have pushed the business further, done more things with it, took it to the next level. But i didn't, and i suffer for that now. If i had pushed it i would still perhaps end up in a position where it declines a lot, but i'd have been much better off with millions in the bank (or, maybe it would still be big now, who knows...?). I have struggling a lot with bipolar disorder in my case, which has caused me a lot of issues, but that's another story.

So, having been there my advice to you is to take a week or two out of uni, if you can do that right now without penalties (or wait til you have a couple of weeks off, perhaps around easter). During that time, hammer it for all it's worth, like your life depends on it.

If you get good results from that (and results should happen fast) AND you are too busy to continue working at Uni, by all means drop out and focus on what you are doing. Keep hammering away at it as much as you can, don't relax because you earnt £6k in a month, or whatever figure looks huge to you, keep going at it. Put money on one side. Because IT WILL FALL at some point, this doesn't go on forever.

Save enough money so that when you have time and want to in the future, you can go back to uni you can easily afford to finance yourself through it. I'm in that lucky position now even though i have little income.

Buy a house if you can, as early as you can. I did this, but was a bit slow off the mark.

HOWEVER, £6k a month is NOT imo enough income from a viral business that would make me think 'drop out of uni'. The sum needs to be bigger, especially when you are reliant on one single source (youtube), you MUST be able to save huge sums of money every month to support you when things drop off later on. No one thinks it will happen in the middle of something big, but with internet stuff, it mostly does - and blows can come hard and fast with no real reason. I lost 40% of my income once overnight due to a change in policy in the USA in the niche i was working in, all my USA customers wiped out just like that. It's tough but i managed to pick up and carry on; other businesses collapsed.

I would never normally say to anyone to leave uni like this, but i know these kind of internet opportunities are very much 'strike now or forget it'. But the payoff has to be there, and it has to be a decent size. Think carefully about whether you will be able to recoup enough money from the project to finance you going back through uni later.

ReputationRep:
    If your degree is a 3 year course just hack the last year and then you’re done. Although youtube seems to be a good source of income, it isn’t stable and you’ll likely lose viewers within 4-5 years from your channels peak. Honestly just finish the degree just incase.
    Whats your yourube channel?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.