Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For this question I’m not sure whether I would get full marks or not, as I got the answer right but used my graphical calculator to get the answer. I have attached a photo of my working, the question and mark scheme.Name:  877726C0-FCE3-4869-A842-59E21FE24F0A.jpg.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  24.0 KBName:  42026315-54B3-4688-B948-C570698F30B6.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  51.9 KBName:  CC852D49-77D9-4E40-9A7B-5E78B91C1CBF.jpg.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  61.0 KB it is question 8(ii)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Hannahkisley)
    For this question I’m not sure whether I would get full marks or not, as I got the answer right but used my graphical calculator to get the answer. I have attached a photo of my working, the question and mark scheme.Name:  877726C0-FCE3-4869-A842-59E21FE24F0A.jpg.jpeg
    For the new spec this would be fine but you're doing a modular spec past paper so I assume you're doing the modular spec?

I have a feeling that you can't use these calculator functions in old spec statistics (apart from using them to check your answer) and you have to do the working assuming you don't have these functions i.e. you need to use the cumulative binomial tables.

I'm really not sure though because I know very little about modular spec stats. Muttley79 do you know?

ReputationRep:
    Hi - as there are three marks I would think you need to show the use of tables. I've not met this issue before with someone using a graphic calculator to do it.

ReputationRep:
    The use of graphing calculators is not permitted in the actual examination so you need to do it from the tables so ensure you get maximum marks.

Never use a graphing calculator or anything with algebraic manipulation as this will make you lazy and may slow you down in the examination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bthrel12)
    The use of graphing calculators is not permitted in the actual examination so you need to do it from the tables so ensure you get maximum marks.

Never use a graphing calculator or anything with algebraic manipulation as this will make you lazy and may slow you down in the examination.
    Sorry, this is incorrect - you can use a graphic calculator just not one with algebraic manipulation. They do not 'make you slow' they are a brilliant aid and I say that as someone who teaches the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I’m actually on old spec, and yes they do make you slow in terms of me assuming he was on old spec. Like with the derivatives button and integrals etc it’s just not maths anymore it’s just shoving numbers in a calculator. So as somebody who is a student, you are incorrect and I say that as student🙄.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    For this question I’m not sure whether I would get full marks or not, as I got the answer right but used my graphical calculator to get the answer. I have attached a photo of my working, the question and mark scheme.it is question 8(ii)
    Which calculator function did you actually use out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Which calculator function did you actually use out of interest?
    This is how I worked it out on my calculator
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bthrel12)

The use of graphical calculators is permitted in this exam paper

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 3, 2018

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.