Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently in my final year at uni (3 year long course) and I’m coming up to my final deadlines for this year.
    I’m beyond stressed at the prospect of getting a 2:2 or below that it turns into a literal panic attack every week!
    My course is weighted 20% second year, 80% third year - I achieved 66% second year (mid 2:1) and I have no idea what my chances are of getting a 2:1 overall?!
    This is how my course is graded:
    - Dissertation (double weighted) = 40 credits (I’ve already achieved 20% of this in a presentation which come out as a 1st)
    - 3 Reports = each are worth 20 credits
    - 1 Exam = 20 credits too, I don’t normally fair well with exams and average a low 2:1 in them

Just curious as to what I need to get to get a 2:1 overall in my degree? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you can't work it out yourself, makes me wonder if you should even get a 2.1.

I am in final year too, and I completely get the weekly panic attack thing. My degree is marked 100% final year. It is divided into 6 modules. 4 modules are pure exams, 1 was the lab project and I got like 73% for the report. The sixth is divided 50/50 between an exam and a dissertation.

On top of that, I have no idea what I want to do after this degree

ReputationRep:
    i use unigradecalc to calculate how much i need in certain things to get a certain percentage. I worked out yours and if this calculator is correct you need 59% overall in third year to get a 2.1, considering you got a solid 2.1 in second year i think you should be fine for third year if i’m wrong somebody please correct me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singhaman)
    If you can't work it out yourself, makes me wonder if you should even get a 2.1.

I am in final year too, and I completely get the weekly panic attack thing. My degree is marked 100% final year. It is divided into 6 modules. 4 modules are pure exams, 1 was the lab project and I got like 73% for the report. The sixth is divided 50/50 between an exam and a dissertation.

On top of that, I have no idea what I want to do after this degree
    It’s not that I can’t work it out for myself, I’m trying to gage my chances...
    If someone was in my position of a mid 2:1 with the same year weight and easily got a 2:1 third year then great, but seeing as a uni grade calculator says I need to average 65% definite across the board to comfortably get a 2:1, I’m not so certain of my chances seeing as my grades fluctuate...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=bubblegumcat;76404804]i use unigradecalc to calculate how much i need in certain things to get a certain percentage. I worked out yours and if this calculator is correct you need 59% overall in third year to get a 2.1, considering you got a solid 2.1 in second year i think you should be fine for third year if i’m wrong somebody please correct me.[/QUOT

Oh really?? Because that works out at a really low grade threshold (low 2:1s and high 2:2s) and I felt certain I would fail if I got those? I mean if you’re right then great!

ReputationRep:
    Let y be the grade you need to get in third year for 2:1 overall

66(.2) + .8y = 60

Y = 60 - 66(.2) all upon .8

Y = 58.5

So you need 58.5 in your third year to get 60% in your degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faith 101)
    Let y be the grade you need to get in third year for 2:1 overall

66(.2) + .8y = 60

Y = 60 - 66(.2) all upon .8

Y = 58.5

So you need 58.5 in your third year to get 60% in your degree
    So if I’m currently on track for a high 2:1 for at least 2 of my modules (60 credits out of the overall 120) does that automatically lower the grade average for the rest of my other modules significantly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily048)
    So if I’m currently on track for a high 2:1 for at least 2 of my modules (60 credits out of the overall 120) does that automatically lower the grade average for the rest of my other modules significantly?
    Yes, I assume those 60 credits are 50% of your 3rd year?

If so, let’s pretend that you got 68.5 in those 60 credits. Therefore, in the other 60 credits, you’d need 48.5 to average your third year out at 58.5

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.