Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help with choosing a degree!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!!!

Basically, I'm in the process of choosing a degree for 2019 study, as I want to know exactly what I'm studying when it comes to applying.

I really want to study law, so it's a definite, but I'm also interested in studying Italian, and I have started the basics! I want to become a barrister so law is a definite.

Anyway, is law with italian hard for someone who may not be fluent in it by next year? I can't risk any grades being bad!!! (by this I mean i don't want to get bad results on my Italian part of the degree which would bring my law result down)

Thanks guys x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by -Francesca-)
    Hi there!!!

Basically, I'm in the process of choosing a degree for 2019 study, as I want to know exactly what I'm studying when it comes to applying.

I really want to study law, so it's a definite, but I'm also interested in studying Italian, and I have started the basics! I want to become a barrister so law is a definite.

Anyway, is law with italian hard for someone who may nit be fluent in it by nect year? I can't risk any grades being bad!!!

Thanks guys x
    Dont quite understand your last bit about grades. You should know yourself what your competencies and A levels are?

If you are going to do Law and Italian, be sure you know how much Italian you want to do, from a joint, to major minor down to with, which caries from 50% down to 20%. Look at the course structure an it will show you how many modules. It would be ironic to sacrifice your degree due to the Italian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Dont quite understand your last bit about grades. You should know yourself what your competencies and A levels are?

If you are going to do Law and Italian, be sure you know how much Italian you want to do, from a joint, to major minor down to with, which caries from 50% down to 20%. Look at the course structure an it will show you how many modules. It would be ironic to sacrifice your degree due to the Italian.

The but I meant about grades was in the degree, I don't want to get a result in Italian which would bring down my law result.

Thank you for your answer!!!!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The but I meant about grades was in the degree, I don't want to get a result in Italian which would bring down my law result.

Thank you for your answer!!!!
    You need to look at the pros and cons of sacrificing some of your degree for Italian modules and doing fewer Law ones.

Look at your unis options and see what you might be missing as there could be some interesting and useful modules that are no longer available to you, the knowledge of which could prove useful in the future. You need to get into the very best uni you can.

ReputationRep:
    You need to look at the pros and cons of sacrificing some of your degree for Italian modules and doing fewer Law ones.

Look at your unis options and see what you might be missing as there could be some interesting and useful modules that are no longer available to you, the knowledge of which could prove useful in the future. You need to get into the very best uni you can.
    That's actually a very good point!!! I never thought of that! That's defo made me want to pick just law now!!! Thanks for your help! x
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    That's actually a very good point!!! I never thought of that! That's defo made me want to pick just law now!!! Thanks for your help! x
    What tends to happen is everyones Law degree is roughly the same for two years and then you get to do a years worth of options.
    Depending how much Italian you did, then you might be limited to 0-2 options compared to 4-6. Check up the courses and see what it is you miss.

The reasons for doing Italian is because you are excellent at it, need a break or would get very high marks or you would find it highly useful. You need to do your research into areas and modules as they may have advocacy opportunities, tribunals or things like Human rights which people tend to get excited about.

Just do the research, then you can make an informed choice.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities give students the chance to learn a new language or increase existing skills alongside their main degree. This might be a good solution as you could give priority to your law degree. eg York:

https://www.york.ac.uk/lfa/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marple)
    A lot of universities give students the chance to learn a new language or increase existing skills alongside their main degree. This might be a good solution as you could give priority to your law degree. eg York:

Thanks!!!! I'll take a look x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marple)

Do you know if Bristol offer this? I can't seem to find it on their website x

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if Bristol offer this? I can't seem to find it on their website x
    Ignore. Made a mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.