Turn on thread page Beta

What kind of experience would i need for children's nursing application? watch

ReputationRep:
    Any child nurses/applicants who can advise me on what Universities would accept as relevent experience? I'm a 38yr old mum of 5, and am looking to apply in September for child nursing. All I have at the moment is my transferable skills from various retail work, and I am a volunteer breastfeeding mother supporter, so help mums who are struggling to breastfeed. I would struggle to get any hospital experience in my local area, but was thinking I might contact my Health visitor and see if I could sit in on a child health clinic! I'm not sure if I'd be allowed or if this would be classed a being sufficient. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AmandaJ2203)
    Any child nurses/applicants who can advise me on what Universities would accept as relevent experience? I'm a 38yr old mum of 5, and am looking to apply in September for child nursing. All I have at the moment is my transferable skills from various retail work, and I am a volunteer breastfeeding mother supporter, so help mums who are struggling to breastfeed. I would struggle to get any hospital experience in my local area, but was thinking I might contact my Health visitor and see if I could sit in on a child health clinic! I'm not sure if I'd be allowed or if this would be classed a being sufficient. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    The web page for the course you are applying for will tell you.

Work with children i.e nurseries and schools.
    Care work.
    Hospital work and shadowing.
    GP and practice nurse
    Charities dealing with childrens health.
    Teenage chancer trust and hospice.

Obviously you have experience with your own kids. You are going to have to use your initiative to apply to these places and get some as other people will plus any interview will discuss your experience. It is easier to show your motivation for a career if you have already gone out and done something about it to find how it works.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ldrens-nursing

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response, the University don't actually specify what they require unfortunately, it just says "applicants should have relevant experience of working with children in either a paid or voluntary capacity. This must not include roles found through friends/family"
    I will probably contact my chosen uni and find out if shadowing the HV would be suitable.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely ask the HV, also see if the local Sure Start Centre needs any volunteers. The BF peer support will help the application too, I’m sure.

ReputationRep:
    It might also help to get some experience volunteering with children with complex needs. Obviously finding time will be tight with 5 of your own, but maybe a disability sports charity or volunteering at a special school? You might also be able to volunteer to do respite care for disabled/ill children in your area. The BF support is an excellent piece of experience not many other people will have, so I'd be looking for something with older children to show you can work across the whole range.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.