Turn on thread page Beta

How TSRIANS advise.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Not rebuking this system, just a handbook for those planning to seek advice from the esteemed and experienced members of TSR!

Picked out a few classics, feel free to add to list!

If you request/ask:

Relationship Advice
    Response - Break Up

Possibility of achieving top grades within any given period
    Response - 100% Possible

Medical Advice
    Response - Visit GP ASAP

Family Counselling
    Response - Move out ASAP

Was this rape?
    Response - Yes, report to Police

Are these (exceptional set of) grades good enough for x?
    Response - London Met might have you

Crush looked at me
    Response - Approach them
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do [X] guys/girls like [Y] guy/girls?
    Response -Depends on the person and/or that's a stupid question.

Spoiler:
    Show

They're right too.

ReputationRep:
    If you are first reply then a witty comment to get rep
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Not rebuking this system, just a handbook for those planning to seek advice from the esteemed and experienced members of TSR!

Picked out a few classics, feel free to add to list!

If you request/ask:

Relationship Advice
    Response - Break Up
    Where appropriate, but I prefer to point out the behaviour and how they feel about it, then give an insight as to whether the behaviour has an impact on the relationship and what it means by them doing it. As well as break ups then I suggest talking , time outs, letting things pass or running for the hills. I would only suggest an immediate break up if the other persons behaviour was very bad and it was in the ops best interest.

Possibility of achieving top grades within any given period
    Response - 100% Possible

I tend to say possible, but would then have a caveat of unlikely and point towards all the other factors, such as how bright, how much work done, how hard they are meant to work. You can achieve a lot with hard work and being smart.

Medical Advice
    Response - Visit GP ASAP

Where it warrants it, but also suggest contacting a charity, nurse, chemist, 911, ambulance or waiting 48 hours depending on the facts. Not sure what else to d as those are in ,line with NHS guidelines.

Family Counselling
    Response - Move out ASAP

Nope not at all because sometimes that is completely impractical and has wider implications. Often with serious family situations the OP has a choice to hunker down and focus on exams, then run off to uni, but in some circumstances it may be best for their safety to move out even if that means going into social services care. Some issues are just normal family life, but others can be quite serious and they post because they feel trapped.

I would refer them to childline, social services, carers associations, young peoples charities, ethnic community charities and estrangement groups, so they can talk it over.

Was this rape?
    Response - Yes, report to Police

I check whether on the facts given it amounts to rape, then explain what is needed to be proven in law. I have a list of about 8 suggestions and actions they can take from preserving evidence to contacting their local support or NHS services. I tend to take great care in advising in these situations with the welfare of the OP being my concern.

Are these (exceptional set of) grades good enough for x?
    Response - London Met might have you

Nope never given that answer. I dislike people who know hey have good grades, but its a case of whether the grades meet the standard or not. Not a hard question to answer.

Crush looked at me
    Response - Approach them

Sometimes, but some have real anxiety issues or there might be situations where it is a teacher etc. Approach them may not be practical.

Answers arent always straightforward. they should always take into account the relevant details posted by the OP and provide where possible assistance in finding or creating a solution.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.