Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    an answer fast please. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about Essex, but I can tell you that I grew up in Aber and it is a brilliant town!
    (Sorry that my answer is a little disorganised!)

It's just small enough to really feel part of a community, yet still decent sized. It's very much a student town as well (During term, something like a third of the population are students).
    Pretty much everyone is very friendly, and we have an extremely low crime rate.
    The CompSci department has had quite a lot of involvement with the local schools
    We're pretty consistently near the top for student satisfaction, and I think we did well in teaching quality recently as well.
    Don't listen to the stats on employability! I'm not actually sure what they are but I do know that a number of very qualified people don't get jobs purely because they like Aberystwyth too much and don't want to move to get them!
    The town is also beautiful, with a beach (though you'd have to go to Borth for sand) and the world's best castle. We also have the National Library of Wales, which has many, many books.

So the only negatives aroe probably:
    - Not many good jobs lying around in Aber once you graduate (but there are plenty of part time jobs if you want one whilst studying)
    - There are no motorways for hours. It takes a long time to travel anywhere (~5h to London, ~2h to Cardiff, etc)
    - The seagulls will steal your food at least once during your time here
    - It barely ever snows. In the recent storm, every road out of Aber was closed, and yet there was only a slight dusting on the ground in town...

In the words of the natives, pob lwc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Top Hat Quark)
    I don't know much about Essex, but I can tell you that I grew up in Aber and it is a brilliant town!
    (Sorry that my answer is a little disorganised!)

It's just small enough to really feel part of a community, yet still decent sized. It's very much a student town as well (During term, something like a third of the population are students).
    Pretty much everyone is very friendly, and we have an extremely low crime rate.
    The CompSci department has had quite a lot of involvement with the local schools
    We're pretty consistently near the top for student satisfaction, and I think we did well in teaching quality recently as well.
    Don't listen to the stats on employability! I'm not actually sure what they are but I do know that a number of very qualified people don't get jobs purely because they like Aberystwyth too much and don't want to move to get them!
    The town is also beautiful, with a beach (though you'd have to go to Borth for sand) and the world's best castle. We also have the National Library of Wales, which has many, many books.

So the only negatives aroe probably:
    - Not many good jobs lying around in Aber once you graduate (but there are plenty of part time jobs if you want one whilst studying)
    - There are no motorways for hours. It takes a long time to travel anywhere (~5h to London, ~2h to Cardiff, etc)
    - The seagulls will steal your food at least once during your time here
    - It barely ever snows. In the recent storm, every road out of Aber was closed, and yet there was only a slight dusting on the ground in town...

In the words of the natives, pob lwc!
    Yup I imagined most of the things like that. Thank you mate !

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.