Plymouth Help! Watch

username3682650
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi TSR peeps,

I've been studying at uni at Plymouth for quite some time, and it is my final year before graduation. I've had quite a roller-coaster ride of a time to say the least. Meeting people and making new friends at uni is apparently the best time in your life do such a thing, however from my 2 and half year experience here at the uni, it couldn't be any more opposite. I have indeed made great friends, however it has been a lot more deliberate than I'm used too.

My background is British , but I feel more of an international student when surrounded by other English peers, which has made it difficult to fit in. It has gotten to the point where I have literally cut my losses and started to invest more of my time with international students, to which my surprise has been much simpler and easy-going. It's ironic to me, as I felt in more in common with English students rather than international students. I often hear that the English have a reputation for being insular when it comes to forming social circles, however I've made English friends in the past and it's never been this difficult. Is this a Plymouth/South of England thing? or is it just my wacky assumption?
University of Plymouth
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SamyBench)
Hi TSR peeps,

I've been studying at uni at Plymouth for quite some time, and it is my final year before graduation. I've had quite a roller-coaster ride of a time to say the least. Meeting people and making new friends at uni is apparently the best time in your life do such a thing, however from my 2 and half year experience here at the uni, it couldn't be any more opposite. I have indeed made great friends, however it has been a lot more deliberate than I'm used too.

My background is British , but I feel more of an international student when surrounded by other English peers, which has made it difficult to fit in. It has gotten to the point where I have literally cut my losses and started to invest more of my time with international students, to which my surprise has been much simpler and easy-going. It's ironic to me, as I felt in more in common with English students rather than international students. I often hear that the English have a reputation for being insular when it comes to forming social circles, however I've made English friends in the past and it's never been this difficult. Is this a Plymouth/South of England thing? or is it just my wacky assumption?
Hi SamyBench,

I'm so sorry you've had this experience! There is a lot of hype around university and it can feel disappointing when things don't meet your expectations. I am really glad you've made great friends though! University is all about meeting new people from different cultures, so I'm really happy you've met a good mix of people. Unfortunately, I feel like this experience can be a university wide thing. I know a lot of friends across the country who have, at times, struggled with friendships, so I don't think it's limited to just this stretch of the country

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (546)
91.15%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (53)
8.85%

Watched Threads