The Student Room Group

transferring from pharmaceutical science to pharmacy

Hi I've just been accepted into pharmaceutical science in London met :frown: .... I really want to do pharmacy is there a way to transfer onto pharmacy if I do well with my grades, I don't mind transferring to year 1 anything will do
Original post by Haroun2017
Hi I've just been accepted into pharmaceutical science in London met :frown: .... I really want to do pharmacy is there a way to transfer onto pharmacy if I do well with my grades, I don't mind transferring to year 1 anything will do

I don't know (I have an odd feeling they wouldn't accept it, but not sure :/ ). But if I was you in your position I would email Pharmacy schools and ask them if they would accept a transfer to first year if lets say you got 70% in your first year.
There are foundation years which allow direct access to first year pharmacy at certain universities e.g. kingston, I think you need 70% overall for this.
Another option you have is clearing, as quite a few schools of Pharmacy go into clearing and may accept lower than their normal grades. I know people which have said they got accepted into the likes of medway with CCC during clearing.

Other than that, I can't be of any more help. I wish you the best of luck with this path.
Original post by Haroun2017

No idea if this is standard, or whether different universities have different policies...

Only relevant if you are interested in potential transfer to the MPharm programme, otherwise you can delete this message

Dear all, I am sure that you will be pleased to learn that students who are interested in potential transfer from Pharmaceutical Science to the Pharmacy programme no longer need to take an aptitude test or be interviewed; these parts of the Pharmacy admissions process have been removed.

Therefore for a Pharmaceutical Science level 4 student to be eligible for transfer to MPharm level 4, you must:

Achieve a level 4 mean mark of at least 55%

Achieve a module mark of at least 55% in Physical Pharmaceutics, Semester 1 AND Formulation Science, Semester 2

All modules must be passed at the first attempt (unless there are valid Extenuating Circumstances).

If the above criteria are met, students will in addition need to confirm finance for the extra years of study and be counselled on the implications of transferring to a different programme, namely that if unsuccessful on the MPharm programme transfer back to Pharmaceutical Science is not possible.

If transfer is successful there are Fitness to Practice requirements for the MPharm programme namely a UK DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) and health check, which will be undertaken during Level 4 of the MPharm programme.

A few points. First, note you have to start at level 4 (year one) again. It's the same course as pharmaceutical science, plus the additional 2 semester pharmacy practical module. The pharmacy practical module starts of with a 5% higher pass requirement than all other modules, at level 4, which increases 5% each academic year.

Failure will mean you are off the course, and can't return to pharmaceutical science so you need to be certain of your ability.

Unlike medicine and dentistry, were undergraduate numbers are deliberately capped, there's no limits on the number of universities than can offer MPharm. The number of places on MPharm courses has more than doubled in the last decade. This has resulted in an over supply of pharmacist graduates.

Places for pre-reg training is fiercely competitive. Many graduates find themselves still unregistered to practice pharmacy as a profession five plus years after graduation. This obviously had an impact on the profession. Actual jobs in the sector are scarce, and relative wages are starting to stagnate. Supply and demand.

These are just two of the reasons why I went against convention and transferred the other way, from MPharm to PhaSci.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
I've heard about this but I have my doubts as it's been said you can transfer from one pharmaceutical science to MPharm only if it's within the same university, this is only a speculation though 🤔 , did you transfer from MPharm into PharmSci within the same university ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending