Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have had my interview for both Harris and LAE and now am confused as to what school I want to go to. Can any students that go to either one of these schools tell the pros and cons and why they picked that school or just anyone facing a similar predicament by choosing between Harris and another school or LAE and another school and what school they are leaning towards and why?
    Many thanks 😊😊😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm currently awaiting my offer/rejection letter for Harris Westminster

I had my interview a while back - what do you specifically want to know about Harris?

ReputationRep:
    Just about the general social atmosphere.
    Are people in cliques or is it really open, is there like a competition to be the smartest or are people willing or help others just things like that.
    How do the students treat each other?
    How do the teachers treat the students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaribbeanScholar)
    Are people in cliques or is it really open, is there like a competition to be the smartest or are people willing or help others just things like that.
    I can tell you that the environment is very friendly! Especially the Year 12s that I spoke to at my interview. I was also worried about the environment being too work-led. but it seems that the students and teachers are also able to have a bit of fun, while also keeping to a level of maturity. Cliques are more of a secondary school thing; you're only here 2 years so I guess you end up becoming more mature and therefore make friendships faster (and plus, imagine there being cliques in Harris! Would anyone really be in a position to judge who's popular and who's nerdy?)

The younger teachers especially seem to have better relationships with students than the older ones (of course, that's not to say that the older teachers don't also care about the students). From my interview, it seemed that all the teachers were friendly; however, at the entry exam, I did see a teacher threaten to give a detention to a student who looked about 18 years old. So maybe there are a few strict ones too.

What subjects are you studying at Harris? I'm gonna do English Lit, History, Politics and Economics (but might change Economics to Philosophy).

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your location. These schools are at the opposite sides of London and they are like an hour drive from each other. They are very similar in terms of performance. Only downside of harris is that they do the hardest exam boards for every subject (which is why their average grade is B. Some people crack and get c/d/e)

ReputationRep:
    If I get in I'll study maths, physics, chemistry and biology

ReputationRep:
    I wanna link you to this thread for Harris Westminster 2018 applicants....

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post76407158

ReputationRep:
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb)
    Depends on your location. These schools are at the opposite sides of London and they are like an hour drive from each other. They are very similar in terms of performance. Only downside of harris is that they do the hardest exam boards for every subject (which is why their average grade is B. Some people crack and get c/d/e)
    For me to get to them it is roughly between 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the day so the journey is not that much of an issue although LAE is easier for me to get to. Thank you for telling me about the exam boards

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m a student at LAE in Yr 13. If you would like to message me for info or with questions you’re welcome to.

ReputationRep:
    I rejected my LAE offer last year, but I did have a fairly good impression of it. It was my second choice and I’d recommend it. Though I’m not sure how Harris Westminister measures up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    I rejected my LAE offer last year, but I did have a fairly good impression of it. It was my second choice and I’d recommend it. Though I’m not sure how Harris Westminister measures up.
    Where did you end up going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatelife2)
    Where did you end up going?
    I kinda don’t wanna say in case someone from my school is here :rofl: you can PM if you want

ReputationRep:
    If I get in I'll study maths, physics, chemistry and biology
    I do not think you should be doing that combo at harris. It is the hardest A-level combination and you will be forced to take all four at harris. Plus they are doing the hardest A-level exam boards you can find. You are better off doing it at lae

ReputationRep:
    I do not think you should be doing that combo at harris. It is the hardest A-level combination and you will be forced to take all four at harris. Plus they are doing the hardest A-level exam boards you can find. You are better off doing it at lae
    True thank you

ReputationRep:
    True thank you
    Harris is using different exam boards for year 12s starting in September 2018. Check their course guide.

ReputationRep:
    I went to HW the year it opened. Nice place, fresh teachers and a whole lot of drama. My friends went to LAE, seemed like a good school too. Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    did you apply for lae?

ReputationRep:
    yes and I have already had my interview

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.